This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

No Joy

deathtical

Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:13:54 pm

I used a live usb installer of ZorinOS 8 "gamer" edition to install on my laptop.

Lenovo Y500
256Gb mSATA SSD (not the normal 2.5" SSD but the one that connects to a socket on the board)

The install seems to run normally regardless of whether I use the "straight to installer" or the Live environment. It sees the drive. Runs the install. Seems to detect all my hardware while in Live. Then after the install it asks to reboot. That's when things get weird. The laptop reboots but just sits at a blank screen. I have tried booting with legacy and UEFI enabled and get the same thing with both.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:15:40 pm

OK, first off I would go with Manual install - are you attempting a dual boot with Windows 8.1? If so then you need to see this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6500

You won't be able to install/run with UEFI enabled in the BIOS. Also as an SSD you should format the partition you want Zorin to go on in 'ext2' format - sorry I don't have an SSD so don't know if you still need to 'trim':

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2106852

The blank screen could be a graphics issue - if you get to see the GRUB menu at all, press the TAB key when it shows up and enter:

Code:
xforcevesa acpi=off nomodeset
- it could be a graphics issue - do you have an nvidia chipset?

deathtical

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:34:31 pm

Not trying to dual boot.I was running Windows 7 before. I only switched to UEFI as a test to see if it would change anything. Not seeing any kind of menu. I find it hard to believe that it is a graphics issue when the Live works just fine. I am on that Laptop right now using Live to respond to this. But to answer your question, yes it is Nvidia.

I have been running Zorin as a VM for a while now and decided to try and run it straight off my laptop. I am trying to decide if I want to ditch Windows all together.

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:41:03 pm

deathtical

Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:26:43 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:This MIGHT help!:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/272570/u ... enovo-y500

Thanks for he link but I don't want to deal with dual booting. If I can't do linux alone then I will just stick with Windows 7.

Oh. And I tried installing with ext2 filesystem with no joy.

If you can think of anything else it would be great. Otherwise, thanks for what you've already provided.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:58:15 am

Can't remember if I mentioned 'trimming' issues:

http://techgage.com/article/enabling_an ... der_linux/

deathtical

Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:27:13 pm

Looks like the only way to get this to work is to dual boot, which I have no interest in. What I don't understand is that the Live version boot with no problems but the installed version will not boot on it's own. That is not logical to me. What is different between booting Live from usb vs booting the actual OS from the ssd/hdd? Thanks

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:29:33 pm

Well the first thing is that everything is running in RAM - it is not touching the hard drive at all with possibly a small amount being used for 'swap'. It could be a 'controller' issue - now that Zorin 9 RC is out, have you given that a try? :D

GiveHim6

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:25:34 am

UEFI isn't something that I like running, if I can help it, in either a Windows or Linux environment, especially with a SSD. Why not go to legacy boot in your BIOS, and see if it works fine like that? UEFI is overrated, IMO.

deathtical

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:35:10 pm

GiveHim6 wrote:UEFI isn't something that I like running, if I can help it, in either a Windows or Linux environment, especially with a SSD. Why not go to legacy boot in your BIOS, and see if it works fine like that? UEFI is overrated, IMO.

I am using legacy. My laptop wouldn't boot from the mSATA drive otherwise. Thanks

deathtical

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:19:03 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well the first thing is that everything is running in RAM - it is not touching the hard drive at all with possibly a small amount being used for 'swap'. It could be a 'controller' issue - now that Zorin 9 RC is out, have you given that a try? :D

Nope. Get the same problem with 9 RC. :(

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:22:10 pm