This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Please help

nickalemap

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:17:21 pm

Hi I have loaded Zorin 8 Ultimate on my toshiba and now have no keyboard or mouse pad i have them until it is loaded and running but then not.
I have re loaded to see what I am doing wrong but no joy can somebody please help an old fool (who is 68 pushing 69) and trying to keep up.
kindest regards Nick

ftl-2014

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:49:16 pm

First, check the cable connections of your keyboard and mouse to your computer (disconnect and reconnect if needed) if it is a desktop - but it seems like it must be a laptop as you mention a mouse pad.

Is Zorin 8 Ultimate booting up correctly? Please specify model of your Toshiba. How old is it? What operating system did it come with? Did the keyboard and mouse work when you ran a live DVD or live USB?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:56:35 pm

Hi, and welcome! You may want to consider using Zorin Lite instead of the main version of Zorin. That said Toshibas can be finnicky when it comes to compatibility with GNU/Linux but don't give up! Normally I would recommend Zorin as a replacement to Windows but it does not always work in all situations. A friend of mine had XP on his ten year old Toshiba and decided to bite the bullet. I did some research first based on the knowledge of his Notebook and found that a Lubuntu based distribution, LXLE, to be the best way forward - he was extremely happy with it. I had to tweak his desktop to replicate what he had under XP and he was very happy - he was even more happy when I was able to install a Windows based application without a glitch using WINE (Wine Is No Emulator - it uses native dynamic link libraries (.dll's)). The current Zorin Lite will soon be past its 'use by date' so you may want to try Lubuntu or one of its other derivatives until Zorin 9 Lite is available later this year (hopefully!) :D

nickalemap

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:33:11 am

ftl-2014 wrote:First, check the cable connections of your keyboard and mouse to your computer (disconnect and reconnect if needed) if it is a desktop - but it seems like it must be a laptop as you mention a mouse pad.

Is Zorin 8 Ultimate booting up correctly? Please specify model of your Toshiba. How old is it? What operating system did it come with? Did the keyboard and mouse work when you ran a live DVD or live USB?

Hi thanks for your reply sorry for the delay in answering it is a Satellite c670/c670d running windows 7 machine is just under 18 months old
I purchased a Zorin os 8 ultimate dvd put it in the disc drive and it loaded automatically wiping out the windows 7 completely.
After reloading the disc for the 4 time it now all works and it is a great os well pleased thank you Nick

nickalemap

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:34:05 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, and welcome! You may want to consider using Zorin Lite instead of the main version of Zorin. That said Toshibas can be finnicky when it comes to compatibility with GNU/Linux but don't give up! Normally I would recommend Zorin as a replacement to Windows but it does not always work in all situations. A friend of mine had XP on his ten year old Toshiba and decided to bite the bullet. I did some research first based on the knowledge of his Notebook and found that a Lubuntu based distribution, LXLE, to be the best way forward - he was extremely happy with it. I had to tweak his desktop to replicate what he had under XP and he was very happy - he was even more happy when I was able to install a Windows based application without a glitch using WINE (Wine Is No Emulator - it uses native dynamic link libraries (.dll's)). The current Zorin Lite will soon be past its 'use by date' so you may want to try Lubuntu or one of its other derivatives until Zorin 9 Lite is available later this year (hopefully!) :D

Hi thanks for your reply sorry for the delay in answering
I purchased a Zorin os 8 ultimate dvd put it in the disc drive and it loaded automatically wiping out the windows 7 completely.
After reloading the disc for the 4 time it now all works and it is a great os well pleased thank you Nick

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:47:26 pm

Hi glad you are enjoying the Zorin experience! As and when 9 is released I would PM AZorin/zorink and ask if you can get a discount/free upgrade as 8 is due to 'expire' soon! ;)

Have marked this thread as [SOLVED].