This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Not able to install Zorn on the 2nd hard drive.

jungle_girl

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:11:41 pm

Hallo,

I have a desktop with two hard drives, each 80 GB, on the first hard drive is Windows XP installed.
I downloaded Zorin OS 8 and love to install Zorin OS 8 on the second hard drive.

My problem is that during the installation I can't change from /sda to /sdb.

Nothing happend when I click on the PLUS or the Change button.

I do use a wired connection.
Any help would be mch appreciated.
Kind regard.

Anonymous

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:51:43 am

Hi

There is something wrong with the installation sw due to it does not see any devices or partitions from your computer. Have you checked with md5sum that your .iso file is error free? What media you use for installation, a DVD or a USB? Can you run the os. in live ok.?

jungle_girl

Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:06:49 pm

@ Henrioiavi,

I am a newbie in the Linux - Ubuntu - Zorin-world, please tell me how do I have to check with md5sum.
The desktop has not the option to reboot from a USB, so I try to install Zorin with a DVD.
Yes I can run the OS in live, it's a little bit slow but that's live.
Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:44:08 pm

Hi, Can we go back to square 1 please before advising further? :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

jungle_girl

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:50:02 pm

@ Swarfendorf437,

1. AOPEN Super midi tower H600B with 2 x hard drives, Maxtor D740 X UDMA 133;80GB
  2. RAM 512MB DDR.
  3. Windows XP Pro is installed on the first hard drive and Zorin wil be install on the second hard drive.
  4. First hard drive is Windows XP Pro (C: & E:), second hard drive (D:) is reserved voor Zorin OS 8 & (H:) is a Swap partition for Windows.
  5. 2 x ASUS RADEON A 9200 SE
  6. Internet connection wired.
  7. Yes I want to check first if it is possible to install Zorin OS 8 and maybe soon Zorin OS 9.
  8. Want to install Zorin OS 8 on the second hard drive.

Thank you & kind regards.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:09:28 pm

Hi, I am a little puzzled as to why you have a Swap partition for Windows on H: Drive! :? Normally 'swap' in XP Pro was set up in Advanced System Settings with an amount set aside within the existing System - if it is no detriment I would get rid of that - but were the drives originally set up as RAID?

If you can get rid of the Windows swap I would partition the second drive thus:

1. Go for the 'Something Else' Method (and at this point I am wondering if you could increase your RAM as 512 Mb is a bit on the low side for Zorin Core - you may want to wait for Zorin 9 Lite to be released!

2. Create a Primary Partiton of 30 Gb, formatted to 'ext4' and marked as '/'

3. Create an 'Extended Partition', then format the first 4 Gb as 'Linux Swap/Swap Area'

4. Whatever is left in the 'Extended Partition' create a logical partition and format to 'ext4' file system and mark it as '/home'

Ordinarily I would put the swap partition at the end of the Extended Partition but other forumers are persuading me otherwise with various articles on where to put swap!

Now at the bottom of the partition screen you will see a choice of where to put GRUB - it would be useful for you to take a screenshot using GParted of your Windows drive to get the correct drive letter, but I am hoping it shows up as sda1 - in the GRUB placement panel at bottom of GParted, just select 'sda' and not 'sda1' - this should then pick up your Windows XP installation.

Keep us posted! :D

jungle_girl

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:43:39 pm

@ Swarfendor437,

I have a PCTV Pro Card on the desktop and in the past I did a lot of digitizing cassette- & video tapes, editing video's/films, record nature films and so on.
I did use the second hard drive for my hobby. That's why I made a Swap partition on the second hard drive.
I still can watch TV on the desktop :lol:
There is a method for Windows XP Pro to choose any hard drive, to create the Swap partition, at least in my case it is possible.
Both hard drives was not originally set up as RAID. I have composed the desktop and asked a computer store to build it for me :roll:

1. I have read Install Ubuntu (Zorin OS) using the "Something Else" method.
    But during installation the screenshot number 5 >> Installation type didn't show up.
    Actually I got only the first 2 screenshots.
    The desktop is an old one (2002) I think I will not increase the RAM, I still use it just for fun because I am a geek :oops:
    I will try to install Zorin OS 8 if it is possible and when it is impossible . . . ooh yes . . . sure I will wait for Zorin 9 Lite.
  2. OK thank you, I will try to do it.
  3. How many GB must be the Extende Partition?.
  4. How many logical partition do I have to create?

Thank you & kind regards & good night.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:02:49 pm

1 Primary - for the System - '/'
1 Extended - 'linux swap' of 2 Gb (you could make it 4 Gb) and the rest /home

jungle_girl

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:36:51 pm

@ Swarfendor437,

I have created the Primary, Linux Swap & Extended partition.

Then try to install Zorin 8, after clicking on Install Now in the Install window en clicking again on Install Now in the next window I got the message "No root file system".

Thank you & kind regards.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:37:21 pm

That is bizarre as I can clearly see that you have indeed created a root file system (/). I notice that the NTFS swap is at the end of the drive inside an Extended Partition. For Zorin I would have:

1. Primary

2. Extended - containing both 'swap' and '/home' - this could be the issue.

I would try out Zorin 9 RC as it appears to have lots of pluses for it over 8 - could you download and try 9 to see if it fairs better? :D

jungle_girl

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:05:38 pm

@ Swarfendor437,

I did try to move the Windows Swap (H:) to (E:) -a partition on the 1st hard drive- but I got a minidump error messages and the desktop run like a turtle :roll:
So I have to move it back to the 2nd hard drive.

I do try Zorin 9 RS and created new partition.

By Create as: the Logical- & the Extended partition are not activate (grey), it's not clickable.

I did also try to give a Label /root to the Primary Partition.

But didn't make any sence, the result is the same.

:oops:

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:47:14 pm

Hi, Do you try to create partitions before installing or during install? I notice you have not created a Linux swap file - if you are still having issues, then I suggest that you disconnect your Windows drive, put in the Zorin DVD and choose - install alongside other partitions - you won't have the same flexibility of creating separate '/home' but hopefully it will install - what you should be aware of is that GRUB will end up at the beginning of drive 2 so after reconnecting the Windows hard drive you will need to run:

Code:
sudo update grub

jungle_girl

Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:04:44 pm

@ Swarfendor437,

1. I did create the partitions before installing but it is not possible te marked /home as a Extended Partition.
    The option to mark a partition as Extended- or Logical Partition are not clickable.
  2. Disconnect the Windows drive . . . if you meant physical . . . , I don’t dare to disconnect the 1st hard drive, I am not a hardware boy.
    I will not take a risk to lose my Windows XP Pro because I still use it for my hobby, I am sorry.
  3. Via Windows Disk Management I created on the 2nd hard drive a Primary Partition, an Logical Partition Partition, all format as fat32.
  4. Then with Gparted changed the format to ext4.

5. Try again to install Zorin and the result is the same.

:roll: :cry:

Anonymous

Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:09:02 pm

Can you follow this installation guide so that you see all these "Install" windows, one after another. I only ask this due to in your posts there are only the one picture where it says that the mounting point is not defined.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

I believe that all that is install related has to be defined in these "install" windows, not only the partitions in the GParted partition manager. In the "Install" window you have to define ie. where (into which partition) you want to install the Zorin os.

8.jpg
8.jpg (26.23 KiB)

jungle_girl

Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:20:39 pm

@ Henrioiavi,

I did, see my 4th message / reaction in this thread –> Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:43 pm

Anonymous

Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:43:42 pm

Ok. I found this from your 4th post:

"I have read Install Ubuntu (Zorin OS) using the "Something Else" method.
But during installation the screenshot number 5 >> Installation type didn't show up.
Actually I got only the first 2 screenshots".

If the situation is every time the same when you try to install so there is something very peculiar. What I can additionally ask if you have checked that the .iso file is ok. so what installation media you use for installation DVD or USB and have you tried both ?

jungle_girl

Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:57:40 pm

@ Henrioiavi,

Post #2

jungle_girl wrote:@ Henrioiavi,

The desktop has not the option to reboot from a USB, so I try to install Zorin with a DVD.
Yes I can run the OS in live, it's a little bit slow but that's live.
Thank you.

I have make a USB-bootable-Zorin OS 8 included UNetbootin before I sign in up here at Zorin Group Forum, but can not use it due to no option to reboot from a USB.

Anonymous

Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:03:01 pm

You can also open your computer.
To make the the installation much easier for partitioning.
1.) Remove [ Power & Data Cables ] from the [ XP Drive ] .....

2.) Install Zorin OS on the second drive.

Example :
2000 = Swap ..........2.gb
16000 = / ..............16.gb
50000 = /home ......50.gb

3.) Plug the [ XP Drive ] back in....
4.) Close up the [ Computer ]......

5.) Set [ Boot Priority ] for [ Zorin OS ] in [ Bios ]....
6.) Save [ F10 ] EXIT ....

Finished

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:04:20 am

Hi Jungle_girl, I think fro USB you will need PLOP to work on your machine - do you have a floppy drive? If I get time (not tomorrow as sorting a friends Windows 7 machine out) I will compress PLOP off a Cover disk from LinuxFormat - I don't like users to be beaten if it can be helped! :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:16:59 pm

Hi jungle_girl, sorry for late response - been busy both in and out of work this week! :D

Here is PLOP as promised:

plpbt-5.0.13.zip
(2.04 MiB)

Instructions on how to use here:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-from- ... a-plop-cd/

jungle_girl

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:38:59 am

@ Swarfendor437,

Thank you and no need to be sorry :D

Yes there is a floppy drive on the desktop.
Do changed the boot option and followed the instruction Pendrivelinux.com.
Wat I have did:
  1. Copy only the plpbt.iso to a floppy.

2. Burn the plpbt.iso to a CD than copy the whole content to a floppy.

Both option the result is that the desktop do not want to boot, got a message ""remove the medium".

Then I try to boot with the PLoP Boot Manager CD from the USB-bootable-Zorin and got this message:

Wat I have to do with that message?

(for me) Good thinking with common sense takes time :D

Kind regards & thank you.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:33:09 am

OK, have you created a pen/thumb/flash drive for usb installation? Sorry I have some chores to do today so I am trying to get through as many threads as possible. From memory you cannot boot from usb - another thought - has the BIOS itself ever been updated?

To get plop to work you need to attach the USB device (external DVD or USB thumb drive) before booting with PLOP - then boot with PLOP boot manager on floppy disc - it should find your USB drive that way.

If I have got anything wrong, please correct me! :D

jungle_girl

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:41:58 pm

@ Swarfendor437,

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, have you created a pen/thumb/flash drive for usb installation?

Yes I do have created a pen/thumb/flash drive for usb installation, with Unetbootin for Windows.

Swarfendor437 wrote:Sorry I have some chores to do today so I am trying to get through as many threads as possible.

Don’t be sorry, we all have our daily activity and we all need to ensure that there is bread on the table. I am not in a hurry to install Zorin.
And may be it is not possible because my desktop is too old :oops:

Swarfendor437 wrote:From memory you cannot boot from usb - another thought - has the BIOS itself ever been updated?

Hmmmmm no . . . , the BIOS itself is never been updated. Maybe I have to do that first?
I'll let you know.

Swarfendor437 wrote:To get plop to work you need to attach the USB device (external DVD or USB thumb drive) before booting with PLOP - then boot with PLOP boot manager on floppy disc - it should find your USB drive that way.

First I do changed the boot option to Removeable Device -> Lagacy Floppy..
Then attached the USB device to the desktop and insert floppy disc-PloP boot manager and then reboot the desktop.
In the main menu choosed Floppy, after that got the message Loading xxxx driver, searching on host. (last screenshot in my previous post)
But I don’t know what I have to do, try to use the arrow keys, tab etc. but didn’t happend anything.

Swarfendor437 wrote:If I have got anything wrong, please correct me! :D

You are the best in the World :!: , no doubt.

What is the meaning of Lost & found?
Primair partition "/"

Partition /home

jungle_girl

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:54:42 pm

@ Swarfendor437,

Just get back about the BIOS update.
A familiar told me as follow:
if it ain't broke, don't fix it ...
This is so for all drivers, especially with regard to the BIOS (Basic Input / Output System, is a chip on the motherboard.
When the BIOS flash failed de computer may not boot again ... :cry:

A BIOS update is necessity: for example, when I did a major hardware change, and this change is not recognized ... or I do have a specific problem, which the manufacturer has a fix for via a BIOS update.

I am sorry.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:45:06 pm

lost and found is where all the fragmented files go after a file check (fsck). Going back to plop, take a look at this video (just love Spatry!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7b4F6QJhVM