This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Devs, can I dual boot with Zorin and Win764bit?

TJourd

Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:35:16 pm

Hi
I am trying to figure out if my system will be good for dual booting with the newest Zorin OS and my current op.(Windows 7 64bit Professional)

I have this system:
ASUS G74sx with 16 GB Ram, Dual internal 1TB HDD(not SSD), TP-Link AC1750 Router.
below is the link for the system basics.

http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G74SX/

If this will work, I would need to buy the disc with premium edition of Zorin (US Dollars?PayPal?) on it for installation as a dual boot. My needs are for using Zorin to go online and download using torrent software. Will Zorin recognize my router and setup the proper drivers and such for online connection?

Thank you! :D
Robert

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:36:01 pm

Hi, if you are wired to the router there should be no issues - I had just completed a video which keeps crashing out on Veoh.com!!! In the meantime please look at these threads for clearer understanding:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7981

and here (yes I know it is windows 8 but it shows you the Easy BCD interface and it was almost the same for me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

Please download the Core version to check it runs live first! :D Zorin usually comes with 'Transmission' but I personally prefer 'Deluge' which is easily installable from sofware center (I think!) :D

TJourd

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:04:42 am

@Swarfendor
I was hoping that the devs would answer with acknowledgement of yes or no for my systems hardware to work with Zorin without me having to figure whether it would work or not with Zorin. I will not be going into the steps you mention without that acknowledgement.
Thanks anyways.
Robert

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:42:36 am

Hi, I suspect you would be lucky to get anyone answering that question as they don't have funds to buy every possible pc configuration! :D

TJourd

Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:53:20 am

Hi
Actually it is not about all the pc configurations it's about the individual components that each system has in common with all the other PC's. ie my system really only has the normal components like the router and wireless card. since I am really only going to be using this PC for online stuff when in Linux account thats the hardware that I am mostly concerned with.

So, Will Zorin linux run that hardware I need ran and does it by default have the necessary drivers for the Connection to work... That is why I put the system info the way I did so that if a Dev for Zorin could look quickly at the specs and say yes or no to my questions it would be solved quickly.

Either way I will not "Test" run this linux or any other as the problems far outway the good stuff and it takes to much time to "re-install" my entire system. Not a time commitment I can afford.

Thanks anyways
Robert

SteveD

Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:15:17 am

Running a Live version will not make any changes to your current system at all. It's the easiest way to tell if if your hardware will work 'out of the box' Just be aware that it will run quite a bit slower than if it was installed.