This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Dual Boot Zorin 9 with Ubuntu 12.04.5

hunterhill

Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:59:18 pm

I have a self built pc with an 80gb hard drive on which I have up and running Ubuntu 12.04.5 desktop final edition(09.08.14).
I would like to install Zorin 9 on the same hd as a dual boot - Is this possible and how do you go about it?
I have already downloaded and burned Zorin 9.Core-32 and am ready to go.
All help much appreciated - thank you all!

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:26:05 am

Hi, it would be good if you could post a screenshot of your partition layout as it currently stands before advising further. Open Gparted in Ubuntu, use Screenshot (or Shutter if you have it installed) and post as a .jpg - instructions here:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

hunterhill

Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:49:46 pm

Thank you for your reply.
My hard drive is a WD 80gb - it only has Ubuntu 12.04.5 installed on 78gb ext4; there is also a 2.1gb Swap; and an Extended 2.1gb - that is the tatal use of the drive.
Can Zorin not reallocate the drive to automatically give a dual boot for Unbuntu and Zorin on start up? I have previously installed Mint 14 onto an Unbuntu drive and it created a dual boot loader.
I await your reply.
Thank you & best regards.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:52:04 am

OK, the reason why I asked for a partition screenshot is that I wanted to know how much free space was left on your drive - if it is less than 6.4 Gb where Ubuntu lives then you will be struggling to install it alongside Ubuntu. If you have 20 Gb or more of free space then you should be able to do it but I strongly advise you back up any valuable data in your '/home' drive before proceeding. When you run the Zorin installer it will give you various options - you want the one that states 'Install alongside Ubuntu/Existing OS' or similar wording - please be aware that your Ubuntu GRUB will be overwritten with teh Zorin GRUB! :D

hunterhill

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:42:12 pm

Thank you for your reply - I think I will dig out an old drive and add it to my machine - thus loading direct to own disc.
Thank you for your help in this matter.