This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

"No Root File System is defined"

Charles082986

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:02:40 pm

I keep getting this error, and regardless of what I partition or leave unpartitioned, nothing appears in the "Allocate Drive Space" listbox that would allow me to proceed further. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:54:33 pm

Hi Charles,

please have a look here and here

Regards
Andreas ;)

Wolfman

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:04:09 am

saidii89

Tue May 15, 2012 3:49:53 pm

a lot of users faced such problem and the solution to it is pretty simple

make sure that the partition file system [you wish to install linux, ubunto or backrack on it] is ext4, ext3 or ext2 [not fat32 or ntfs]

then mount "/" on it, how? easy:

1- on the installation process press [change] on the partition you wish to use

2- make sure [do not use this partition] scroll is not chosen, scroll to ext4, ext3 or ext2

3- and on "mount" field write "/"

4- when clicking ok then next a message will appear saying something like [swap area was not defined, do you wish to continue or choose a swap area? because bla bla bla..], click "ok" and continue or click "go back" and choose another partition and click change, on the file system scroll choose [swap] and click ok and next

this will solve both "no root file system is defined" and the "swap area" message, if you still get the swap area message then on step 4 mount "/swap" to the partition

AND THIS SOLVES IT!

every time anyone need solutions don't hesitate to search for help

ask me if you need something and I can help I will do it, I don't log to forums a lot, I found this thread while searching on google and I copied this answer to all the threads with the same problem, so If you need contact here it goes ->

http://www.twitter.com/saidii89
http://www.facebook.com/saidii89
http://www.formsrping.me/saidii89
http://www.saidi-theory.blogspot.com

brought to you by Sa'eed Awad
[Saidi Theory Solutions] by Sa'eed Awad

maxrubino

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:31:42 am

Hi, I am having trouble installing Zorin.
This what happen:
if I boot with "live" the I have half screen flicker too, if I try to run installer directly then I arrive at a stop with the partition. Any solution I try from the indicate in this cannot go OK, then I have error 141 too.
What can I do to install it? Do you have a solution?
Thank you

Wolfman

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:07:52 pm

Hi,

did you burn the ISO disk at the slowest possible speed??, if you didn' re-burn it and try again.

Did you try booting in "Safe Mode" or did you opt for direct install??.

Regards Wolfman

maxrubino

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:53:03 pm

Hi, thank you for your prompt answer.
I use the unetbootin after I copied the zorin 6 core.iso in the hard disk and running unetbootin from windows xp professional. then I try the live and the direct installation. I am also trying with Zorin 6 lite but same half screen. Still did not try the direct installation with Zorin 6 lite.
It is a joy book that does not have the dvd so I did not think other solution.
I really would like to move away from Windows.
Thanks again

maxrubino

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:18:30 am

Hi again,
I try all, the md5 file match and all the rest too.
I still have flicker screen and when I install I get error (see sort of my screen shots in the link http://www.bellaitaliapattaya.com/output/index.html )
The second try is from the flickering screen, the first from install direct.
Thanks in advance for any help.

maxrubino

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:28:26 am

Hi, thank you for the advice. I have been so busy with job and I just had the time now to check your post.
I will follow your manual instruction guide to dual booting, where I can download it? Or it is all in your last post?
Thank you, bye.

maxrubino

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:30:05 am

Hi, it is me again.
I could manage to install it but now I had:
or a black screen or like in the attachment.
Any solution?
Thank you, bye.

maxrubino

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:18:46 am

Hi again.
I appreciate your suggestion but I cannot understand what I have to do. Not because you are not clear but because I am using computer from years but as user and I never went in to this. I can build up an online booking system for hotels (with an application) or a e-commerce website but I hardly understand what is a boot menu.
If you will have some time, can you attach some screen shot of how to do it?
Thank you anyway.
Bye

maxrubino

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:41:04 am

Hi, how are you?
When I type nomodeset I get unknown command nomodeset...
More indication?
If eventually I want to remove Zorin, how to do it? I cannot use dvd.
Let me know it.
Thank you, bye.

maxrubino

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:51:02 am

Hi, thanks for your patience.
Yes I can boot in to Windows from the first boot passing for another boot choice, so it will be the second.
I attached the screen shots. 001 is the first I get when I power on the notebook. Follow on I choose Windows (like in the 002) and I get 003, then I choose Ubuntu and I get 004 On the 004 (the last) I can choose between Ubuntu, Ubuntu safe mode, Windows XP, Zorin...
I can format the partition where Zorin is located but I think that then the notebook will not boot anything at all.
As you can see Ubuntu is on but I don't like: no nice video reproduction and strange flicker when scroll web pages in browser. Zorin I already tested (not in this notebook) and I prefer.
Bye

maxrubino

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:43:26 am

Good morning,
Yes I understand about the back up of my files on XP.
But I don't have a DVD on this Joybook. Neither have a copy of Windows.
So, as after eventually format Zorin Windows XP will be still on the computer, can we just recreate the boot sequences? I read something around but was quite not understandably for me.
If impossible don't worry.
Another question:
if in the future I would like to install different OS, for example Triquel, Zorin, Ubuntu, Bodhi, I still have to format all to uninstall?
Let me know about the Grub and Thank you again.
I will let you know my progress.

maxrubino

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:29:31 am

Hi, how are you? Here my updated:
1) about the Joybook I give up... I think it is not suitable for Zorin.
Instead I am finally using Zorin now on another computer. I am using it from the USB, I mean, I still did not install it. It is faster than Ubuntu.
2) I would like to know, as I have a limited resolution on the screen, is there a driver for monitor LG Flatron l1760tr? I search and I just found driver for Windows.
3) Then this computer has a wireless device that I cannot use with Zorin, I cannot even detect it or I am not able to detect or it will be detect once I will install it? Now I can use Zorin with a internet cable connection (LAN cable).
Thanks again, bye

maxrubino

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:54:18 am

Hi, how are you today? Lately very busy.

I also try Lite have the same problem with the screen.

In this computer I also have Windows. With Windows I have a better resolution. Can I have the same? I don't have Nvidia or ATI, I have an internal Intel(R). What to do to improve resolution using Zorin? Is there a step by step procedure?

And about Madvinegar did he suggest something?

Thank you all, bye.

madvinegar

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:07:23 pm

maxrubino wrote:3) Then this computer has a wireless device that I cannot use with Zorin, I cannot even detect it or I am not able to detect or it will be detect once I will install it? Now I can use Zorin with a internet cable connection (LAN cable).
Thanks again, bye

Hi. Sorry, I have just seen this post.
Please provide the results of the following commands
Code:
lspci -nn
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

maxrubino

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:09:26 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi maxrubinio, could you please provide us with details of your machine (make and model) and the name of the Intel Graphics chipset.

Cheers.

Hi, I attached 2 screen shots, maybe it can help.
If this was not the information you request please let me know i will look again.
Thanks to all.

madvinegar

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:56:55 am

Please boot into zorin and provide the results of the commands I asked in my previous post.

maxrubino

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:07:39 pm

Hi, I attached the result.
And what about the screen resolution?
Thanks again.

madvinegar

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:33:55 pm

I can't see the result of the 1st command. Kindly copy and paste them here.

However, as swarf says, your wireless would be probably working ok if you actually install zorin and make the necessary updates (and not just boot in live mode).

maxrubino

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:11:51 pm

Hi, how was the start of new year? I hope fine.
So I posted the first command result.
I think more about the resolution than the wireless.
About wireless anyway, when I start Zorin I get the message "There is a wireless network in range..." but then I don't know how to configure.
Thanks