This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] get_iplayer

goldfish173

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:01:05 pm

Have just installed Zorin OS 9 and although i have installed get_iplayer it isn't appearing in the Zorin menu. I had a similar problem with Ubuntu Tweak but i managed to call that up and pinned it to the start bar. Does anyone know know how to either call up get_iplayer or to make it appear in the menu? Thanks in advance.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:26:35 pm

OK, just installed 64-bit version of 9 Ultimate and this is how I did it for ubuntu-tweak.

1. I opened a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and entered:

Code:
ubuntu-tweak

2. Pinned application to the Panel (Taskbar equivalent).

3. Right-clicked the ubuntu-tweak icon and selected properties:

09.png

4. [Do the same with your get_iplayer]

5. Then, if not already present, but first check for 'Main Menu' - if not present install 'alacarte', the menu editor via a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T):

Code:
sudo apt-get install alacarte

6. run alacarte:

18.png

Next click on the 'New Item' button:

05.png

Now fill in the fields of 'Name' - this can be whatever you want to call it; then the Command - check out the properties of the panel icon when you launch 'get_iplayer' - remember most applications are followed by a space then %U - which indicates that the file is in /usr directory.

Keep us posted! :D

goldfish173

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:13:40 am

Hi thanks for the walkthrough. I've done that for Ubuntu Tweak but i can't call up get_iplayer to do the same. I seem to remember there is a hotkey for calling up an application - how do i call up get_iplayer when i know it is already installed?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:44:35 pm

Enter in the search box of the Win7 menu? Have you browsed: Computer | Usr | Share | Applications? :D

goldfish173

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:11:57 pm

Hey thx Swarfendor. It's not in /usr/share/applications. I think i was confused because get_iplayer had a GUI in Zorin 6.4 but seemed to be command line only in 9. However i got a simple GUI for get_iplayer via http://www.ubuntugeek.com/giplayer-a-py ... layer.html and now the app appears in the Sound & Video menu. Am a happy Zorin OS user again. :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:30:34 pm

Hi goldfish173, glad you are sorted - and thanks for sharing the solution, so 120 blue jewels to you! :D