This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] correct password does not work

cestran

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:02:18 pm

Hi,

I just upgraded my system from Zorin 6 to Zorin 9, which seems to have worked. When I try to start a session I am being asked for my password (which is annoying but things could be worse). Then I type it in, press enter - and nothing happens (I tried it several times). When I try a different password it says "incorrect password, try again" (well, that's the way it should be!). The only thing I can do is enter via guest session.

What could be wrong?

Thank you!

cestran

Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:04:20 pm

Meanwhile I went through the whole installation process once more - with no result, e. g. I still can't log in. There is a very short terminal message right after i press "Enter", which is extremely hard to read, as it shows up only for a fraction of a second. I took about 20 pictures (with my camera) of it. Finally I think I can piece together what it says (I have to type this down by hand):

Stopping CPU interrupts balancing daemon [ OK ]
Starting Mount network filesystems [ OK ]
Starting Samba Winbind [ OK ]
Stopping Mount network filesystems [ OK ]
Starting NetBIOS name server [ OK ]
1062.516033] mei_me 0000:00:03,0: timer: connect/disconnect timeout

I am not definitely sure if I got ALL the numbers and the punctuation marks in the last line right. However, it seems to say something about the interval this message shows up (??).

I don't have any idea what to do at the moment. Glad for your help!

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:24:55 pm

More information please! :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

cestran

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:57:57 pm

Computer: Dell Optiplex 755
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU (2 x 2 GHz)
RAM: 1 GB
Graphics Card: Intel Q35x86/MMX/SSE2
HD Partitioning: sda1 (ext 4): 73,7 GB, sda2 (extended): 5 GB, sda5 (swap): 5 GB
Zorin = only OS! (no dual boot)
PCI Card: Sorry, can't find any information. However, no wireless available!

No, I didn't run the Zorin 9 Live CD before I installed it. But I ran the Zorin 6 live and installed it and it worked out quite perfectly. That's why I assumed version 9 should be okay.

Actually, I'm quite surprised that my system changed back to 32 bit. I'm quite sure I had 64 bit with Zorin 6...

Anyway, that's all the information I can find at the moment. Any ideas?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:24:11 am

OK, should have rewound a bit more! :oops:

1. You did download 9 from either here:

http://www.zorin-os.com/free.html

or here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zorin-os/files/9/

2. You did not use a Download Accelerator Manager did you? This can result in a corrupt downloaded .iso.

3. You checked the md5 sum of the .iso? To do this in a GNU/Linux terminal, navigate to where the .iso is downloaded and enter:

Code:
md5sum [exact name of .iso file]
Wait 30 seconds and wait for the result to appear in the terminal window.

4. Burn at slowest possible speed if using DVD - if using Brasero, you MUST launch Brasero first - if you right-click the .iso and select 'burn using Brasero' you could end up with a 'coaster' for your Mug instead of a useful DVD! (Speaking from experience).

cestran

Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:41:11 pm

Thank you so far.

I managed to get the thing going by erasing my hard disk and then starting the installation process once more. I hadnt done this in the first place because I thought Zorin might want to use the partitions at hand.

Well now, with the old data swept clean off the HD it was quite easy. No more password problems. Actually, I still dont understand why!

Thanks once more!

PS. I downloaded the iso file from sourcefourge.net, and I can recommend it!

PPS. Im going to have more questions about my computer still not properly working. Youll find me on other pages of this forum.