This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] /casper/vmlinuz: file not found

tlgalenson

Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:39:04 pm

I am pretty sure I have the latest Zorin OS v9 Lite.

Furthermore, this exact same dvd/image will correctly boot/install on two different Dell machines.
But it won't on an Acer Aspire One 722-0473. This has a dual core C-60 and Radeon HD.
The drive I am using has booted/installed about 4 or 5 other Linux distributions (including Zorin OS v9 core). On this PC.
I had another non-Zorin distribution installed so I tried taking off all the HD partitions and booting it that way.
No luck with a completely clean hard disk.
I now have about 5 copys of the DVD because I didn't figure out the error is specific to this machine.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom Miller

Wolfman

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:52:15 pm

tlgalenson

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:30:46 am

Thank you for the reply. That does mean I have to figure out how to load this ISO onto a flash drive. I have been using DVD's to this point.

And I would like to be able to continue to do so.

I would also like to note that Zorin OS v9 32 bit core also boots on the Acer so the only problem child is the Zorin OS lite, 32 bit compile. Is there an issue with the script that builds the lite version?

So the question that is bothering me is why does it complain about a "missing" file on one hardware and not on the other?

tlgalenson

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:02:15 am

To make life in more bemusing when I used the "Rufus" program under Windows 7 and selected the "MBR bios or UE?..." selection after it complained... and after I had re-formated the flash drive first with HPUsbDisk.exe and then again with a reguar windows format...it just booted right up without changing or renaming any files.

Folks I don't have a clue. But at least now I can get back to trying to get Zorin OS v9 lite onto the Acer. Why? Because the 64 bit version is a bit more slow and stiff....

Thank you for the lead Wolfman. Without trying to install it from a flashdrive I would still be stumped. I will admit I am only at the welcome screen where it asks if you want to try or install Zorin, but I haven't ever had a problem once I reached that screen. So I am going to claim this one is solved.

Tom