This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED]Installing Zorin (not)from a Windows user perspective

xectis

Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:36:11 pm

Hello folks,

I want to install a fresh copy of Zorin on my C: partition to run alongside Windows 7. I also have an extra partition (D:) named MUSIC which I do not want to touch. When Zorin asks me which partition I want it to be installed it offers me the choice, however because it does not indicate in 'Windows language' which disk label/name I want to choose (it gives me Linux language which I do not quite understand) I am fearful it will choose the whole of the disk, including the D: partition.

Here's the scenario: If I chose to "install Zorin alongside Windows" it then prompts me to install Zorin on the whole drive with no partition options. If I chose the option "Something Else" on the bottom of the page it presents me with two partition choices, either /dev/sda1 Windows 7 (loader) or /dev/sda2. At this stage I can only assume the former is where my main Windows 7 partition is installed (C: drive) and the latter where my D: partition (label named MUSIC) is. If I chose the former a small window appears saying "No root file system. No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu"

From a Windows user perspective Linux way of doing things is not clear cut and it needs to be more simplified. If the developer's aim is to invite Windows users to Zorin OS this is definitely not the best way to present it.

Basically I am stuck and need some clarification as I do not wish to delete my other partition. Any help would be most appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:16:57 pm

Hi, Please view my video:

https://vimeo.com/110085401

:D

Wolfman

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:55:18 pm