This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Acer Aspire has brakes on install

jowilker

Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:36:00 pm

Hi Yall, I own an Acer Aspire NAV50 running Zorin 7-Ubuntu 13.04 32 bit. I gave the preloaded windoz program the heave ho a couple years ago. I have had a limited use for this unit and it has served me well. I got a used 64 bit laptop for Christmas, and a couple of 64 bit used PCs soon after that I have been playing with Zoring 9 and Fedora on one. I decided to move the laptop into the use of the netbook and wanted to load Zorin 9 32 bit on it to replace 7 and bring it more current.

I have the USB ISO burned but the Netbook will not allow me to load it. I have the stick identified set to load but get a message "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to start"

How does one get around this? Once you press any key 7 starts to load. The Netbook does not have a CD/DVD. What does a fellow have to do to get past this bump in the road?

regards

John

Wolfman

Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:38:27 pm

Hi John,

you need to change the boot device priority in BIOS, set USB as first boot device!. :D

There might be a key you can press when booting the PC so you can select which boot device you want to use, on my HP it is "Esc" and on my Hewlett Packard it is "F12".

jowilker

Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:03:14 pm

Yes sir and thank you, It is done and stated I have the stick identified set to load but get a message "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to start"

I loaded 7 the same way, but didn't have run into that message before. The bios recognizes the stick by name as being 1st boot.

John

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:11:49 pm

I am wondering if it is something to do with the way:

1. The Acer is configured to boot to 7 no matter what.

2. There is an issue with your memory stick.

As you have other machines running Zorin fine, download Multi System 3 (I posted it elsewhere on here as no longer available from Softpedia):

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8933&hilit=+MultiSystem#p43425

and view my tutorial here:

http://vimeo.com/104187694

Remember to Format the USB to FAT32 and I would be tempted to backup any data you have on 7, then wipe the drive entirely - including any hidden recovery partitions which could well be what is stopping you from booting from USB too! :D

jowilker

Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:26:06 pm

The bios is set Boot priority order: 1. USB HDD: Sandisk Cruser. I have IDEO: WDC WD1600BEVT-22A23TO moved to 4th place.

The other machines are 64 bit, I downloaded the 32bit last evening, from Zorin-os and burned the image.

Is there a disk wipe that I can load onto a stick and start it from 7 while running. I have an old copy of Kill Disc on CD but no way to use it on this machine.

John

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:26:41 pm

Wolfman

Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:08:07 pm

Hi John,

did you format the USB stick before you loaded Zorin OS onto it?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7171

There is already a partitioning tool included with Zorin OS (Gparted). :D

For partitioning:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

jowilker

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:58:55 pm

Thanks guys but the "yes" formatted stick is not allowed to come into play. The bios recognizes the USB, but when it rolls up to where the USB can start to run the Remove discks message is there. It will sit there forever of if you press any key it will boot Zorin off the HD.

I need to get rid of what ever is generating the message.

John

PS: Is there any way to launch into 7 and blow the HD? I have removed all that I need to and loaded it to the laptop.

Wolfman

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:01:20 am

Hi John,

please paste the info for the unit you are trying to load Zorin OS on to so we can look at the manual and find out what is stopping you!. :D

Does the laptop/netbook have UEFI/Secure Boot?:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295

have a read through this thread as it might inspair you a little!:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2173107

Make and model of the laptop/netbook please!. :D

jowilker

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:46:39 am

Wolfman that info is in 1st post, but just for you Acer Aspire One NAV50 running Zorin 7-Ubuntu 13.04 32 bit.

I have downloaded Zorin 9 32bit and burned the ISO to a formatted USB Stick. I have entered the bios of the machine and set it to boot from the USB Stick, and when doing it with the stick in place it recognizes it by name.

My plan was to select delete Zorin or Ubuntu from the install menu but I can not get that far. This option is on the 64 bit version of both Zorin and Fedora. The machine starts like it's ready to boot the USB with a message on the screen "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to start" It will sit there until you press any key, doing so rolls the screen & boots from the hard drive. I have seen this kind of message at the end of a process but not at the beginning.

The issue that I need help with is the screen message "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to start"

John

Wolfman

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:06:04 am

Hi John,

I understand what you need no problem, I tried looking for the manual here:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

but when I search by product name, nothing shows up, we need to read the manual so we can find what is causing the blockage!.

Please try and download the manual yourself and see what happens!. :D

jowilker

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:13:32 pm

This is Craaazy, I had to boot the machine to the bios to find AO532h

So its Group Netbook, Series Aspire One, Product AO532h

Only doc is Quick start guide.

John

Wolfman

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:26:48 pm

Hi John,

I found the specs here:

http://www.pcworld.com/product/1261211/ ... tbook.html

I think that you would need to try Zorin OS 9 Lite on it as I don't think it is going to boot correctly from the Z9 Core ISO!:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... quirements

I still cannot find anything about BIOS but I believe that it is simply not powerful enough to run Z9 Core and this is why it is skipping the USB stick!. From what I can tell, there is no Secure Boot or UEFI on it!.

jowilker

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:34:43 pm

Ha I made it, got Zorin 9 installed on the Netbook and am using it to post this message.

Some days you have to kick azz and take names. :o

John

Wolfman

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:02:19 pm

Hi John,

so all's well that ends well, what did you do to get it to boot from the USB stick?.

I will mark this as solved!. :D

jowilker

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:21:03 pm

Wolfman, I didn't, I couldn't make the stick recognizable, nor a second stick. :o

So I removed the hard drive, plugged it into my PC tower, removing and reattaching the cables from it's hard drive and loaded Zorin from a DVD. At the end I re attached the cables and closed that box, re-installed the hard drive in the netbook and let it finish putting it's pants on, then I installed my browsers and synced them, came here and posted.

I found out a couple three weeks back that unlike windoz a hard drive loaded with Linux does not care what PC case it is running in. You can shut it down move it to another PC and fire it right back up again. Of course you probably already knew that. :D

John

Wolfman

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:32:55 pm

Hi John,

clever solution, I did know that but didn't give it a thought!. :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:10:40 pm

I've always been wary of Notebook to PATA/SATA caddies - someone brought one into the firm where I worked as an IT contractor and fried the drive which had incriminating evidence on it! :shock: