This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] booting selection

abandonallhope

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:44:02 pm

Hi there i have installed zorin along side of windows 7. But when the computer starts and go's to choose operating system it will not let me. It has press e to choose boot selection. But when i do nothing happens and i can not choose which operating system i want to use, and boots straight into zorin. Any advice would be greatful.

Wolfman

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:29:57 am

Boot the live Zorin cd and once it boots, open a terminal and type:

Code:
sudo update-grub

press enter twice then restart without the live cd and see if it gives you a normal Grub menu. :mrgreen:

abandonallhope

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:20:07 am

Thank you for the reply. I did exactly like you said but with the same out come. It shows the screen in which to choose your operating system. But just like last time i go to hit the E button to pick boot selection and it wont work. I dont know it;s got me stumped.

Wolfman

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:31:44 am

Hi,

try downloading a copy of "Boot Repair" and see if that helps:

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/

Did you burn your disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4771

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:34:27 pm

Hi, E is for editing the boot menu not for choosing! You should have a list of your operating systems starting with Zorin and windows below - did you run the update command after installation?

Open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Then check out Wolfman's excellent Post-Install guide! :D

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

abandonallhope

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:51:01 pm

Well i got it working, all i had to do was plug in my ps2 keyboard and it will now let me choose which operating system to use. So happy :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:27:18 pm

OK, a little information can help us to put you on the road to a solution - so your wireless keyboard did not work yes? Now that you have it working with ps/2 keyboard, switch off machine, put wireless transmitter in PC, remove ps/2 keyboard and see if it works on next boot! ;)

Please let us know if it works? :D