This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin (and Linux OS) less installable on Home XP2+ computers

abracadabbra-zorin

Tue May 05, 2015 3:57:17 pm

Hi,
I have been dealing with one of those 'hair-pulling' phenomenoms over the past year on 2 computer systems which have had either XP Pro 2+ or HomeXP 2+ as their primary and original OS.
One of these desktops (A Dell B110) seemed quite happy to run any linux based OS live without a glitch. It even had the Zorin installed as a duel-boot and happily ran that. But over time, bit by bit (hmmm) I found that less and less linux based systems would even boot up to run in live mode. I cannot re-install any version of Zorin or other Linux-based system now. It is rather strange.
I have tried completely reformatting the hard-drives, replacing mbr's. I have used alternate DVD rom units. I even tried formatting in alternate formats several times to insure that I had cleared the hard drives. There seem to be no hardware problems.
I have one other desktop that is MUCH older with much lesser hardware and memory. It was sort of dumped on me and it runs a non-SP Windows Pro XP. It has Zorin Lite installed as a duel-boot, running everything I want, with no problem ever. I even watch HD videos in Zorin, and really, by just about any standards, it's really a ratty piece of old hardware, but it seems to have remained immune from whatever has appeared to have affected my other desktop PCs. It even boots other versions of Linux although it might be struggling to run some of them.
Just for the record I have had Zorin on a Dell netbook duel-booting with Windows 8 with no problem (originally Win 7) and it is a smash with me. I trust it and go to it before I use to Windows 8. It installed without a hitch several times, absolutely prooving that it is quite well-engineered.
I've looked around the web for any similar occurences such as mine with my XP desktop. It seems to suggest some type of mbr boot virus or such (Anti-Linux?). However, another strange detail. This same PC could also boot preview versions of WIndows 7 in the past or just about anything. No more. It as if somehow a way has been found to stop the PC from booting any new systems other than XP.
I am not expecting any significant answers regarding this and I have only so much time to commit to this annoyance at this point, but I am wondering if anyone with knowledge might have any suggestions as to what might be going on with my 'haunted' desktop systems.
Thanks for your attention.

Wolfman

Tue May 05, 2015 5:16:44 pm

Hi,

it sounds like it can either be the HDD or the RAM but I am not sure, I would try swopping the RAM around in different sockets first, second; if you can remove the HDD from your other PC, and put it in the PC that won't boot, you will know quickly enough!.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 06, 2015 12:04:13 pm

You mentioned Windows 8 in there somewhere? Even on a PC that does not have UEFI/EFI installed in the BIOS Windows 8 will not allow anything else if Fast Boot is enabled - you have to disable it in the Advanced section of Power Options - what it does is put the hard drive to sleep when you shut down the PC - basically the hard drive is put into a state of suspense for quick booting. ;)

abracadabbra-zorin

Fri May 08, 2015 5:16:55 pm

All really great and interesting replies. regarding Windows 8, while I did not ask for that information, I have been thinking about the very thing you mentioned since my original installation of Zorin 6 (now has v9) in dual boot with Win 7 (Now 8) on my Dell netbook. That fits the scenario and explains why I almost never can access the Win 8 drive from Zorin to play my music content. I always suspected that Windows 8 was using a trick such as you have mentioned to make their boot faster.
Regarding the HD and memory suggestions. I have often seen what appear to be some mbr and boot lock-in scenarios in regards to XP, I suspect related to Windows early integration of authentication protocols. I have found that even after re-formatting and installing an XP drive one can end up with a sloggy system, which I thought was rather suspicious since I would think I was then starting from fresh. Not so, I am guessing. This week while fighting with this problem I discovered that replacing the mbr and boot (whatever you call it, please excuse my fuzzy knowledge in this area) suddenly XP would begin to run like new. This follows my long running suspicions that the lock-in authentication process practiced in early XP os often could screw up future installations of even the same system. It looks like some kind of HD failure, or something similar. I suspect that a lot of people have dumped either their PC's or HD's because of this problem. Whether I am correct or not is up for grabs. I am not quite so accomplished as to know how to prove such a situation. But boy, what a great way to sell more hardware and new installations of WIndows purchased at a premium price!
I had been wondering about the memory, and thought of taking similar steps to see if it would have any affect in regards to this installation problem. I actually am thinking of 'ripping' apart the whole PC, removing all plugin parts and cleaning the boards and contacts throughout. In the past I have found that this can lead to surprising and very positive improvements in all areas of all operating realms of my PC in general. For those at home (ho ho ho) please make certain that everything after cleaning is Nice and Dry, before plugging your system back in and using it after this process. Also it is probably a good idea to make certain that you really have plugged all cards and memory back into the board very carefully after you do such a cleaning.
You know this kind of problem can make a person crazy. I appreciate your suggestions very much. Also, as usual, thanks so very much to all for their work on Zorin. I am rather fond of this system by now.

Swarfendor437

Fri May 08, 2015 9:38:38 pm

In respect of branded PCs with XP have a "glue" file; speaking from personal experience with NEC machines (aka Packard Bell). I decided to do a fresh install of XP on such a machine at work and I created 2 partitions prior to install - bad move! The installer was looking for 1 partition! On other systems you may find:

1 hidden system partition;
1 system partition;
1 recovery partition;
1 partition used for creating system restore DVDs.

The one thing they all have in common? All usually marked as 'Primary': you can only have 4 Primary partitions on any system - even if you have more than one hard drive which will prevent any attempt to add any other OS! ;-)

abracadabbra-zorin

Mon May 11, 2015 9:43:52 pm

Precisely such as I have pondering upon in this circumstance. Thank you for your comment.

Wolfman

Thu May 21, 2015 5:19:22 am

Hi,

you have to resize your disk (HDD) and then create an extended partition and then create Linux partitions (swap, root and home) within that partition!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601