This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Why won't my computer boot from this CD?

melody5697

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:07:13 am

I decided to try Zorin but for some reason my computer won't boot from the CD I burned. It works just fine with the ones I burned for Ubuntu and Linux Mint and I'm doing exactly what I did for those. At first I thought maybe something went wrong when I was downloading the file or something had gone wrong when I was burning the CD, but I downloaded the file again and burned a new CD and it still didn't work. Why won't it work? I downloaded Zorin OS 9 core. The 64-bit version.

Wolfman

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:52:25 am

Hi,

what are your system specs?, did you follow this advice when burning the ISO?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:23:33 am

Also:

A. Did you use the latest version of Firefox? - It is the best way to download Zorin isos.

1. Did you use any download accelerators?

2. Did you bother to check the md5sum?

How to do this in Windows:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v28335038JpeNGXzP

In GNU/Linux:

Navigate to the 'Downloads' folder in a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T0 then enter:

Code:
md5sum zorin-os-9-core-32-a.iso
*Note this is an example - we don't know which version of Zorin you downloaded or type (e.g., Core/Lite/Education)

wait about 20-30 seconds and you get the md5 sum

3. If using Windows to burn, ONLY use imgburn - get it from https://ninite.com. When burning use the slowest speed that your burner will run at - I set imgburn to 1x and it told me my burner did not support that - it is 4x minimum (slowest) speed.

4. If using GNU/Linux Gnome Desktop, launch Brasero first then select the image to burn - NEVER right-click an iso to burn with Brasero - unless you like lots of coasters to put your drinks glasses on. Make sure you select the slowest speed your burner can take - most modern ones are 4x

melody5697

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:27:41 pm

I followed the instructions and they were exactly the same as what I did for Ubuntu. Did you even read my post? If you had, you would've seen that I specifically said what version I downloaded. Why should I listen to you if you didn't even take the time to read my post?

melody5697

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:28:57 pm

Now I can't do anything until after Halloween because I'm out of CDs and I have to save up my allowance for my Halloween costume.

melody5697

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:34:06 pm

Also, I just tried to check the md5sum (except with the name of the file on my computer) and it said "No such file or directory".

melody5697

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:53:22 pm

Actually I just read about another way to check the md5sum and it's right.

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:02:19 pm

melody5697 wrote:I followed the instructions and they were exactly the same as what I did for Ubuntu. Did you even read my post? If you had, you would've seen that I specifically said what version I downloaded. Why should I listen to you if you didn't even take the time to read my post?

Apologies to you, I was in a rush when I posted. :oops:

Could you please provide us with some information please?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

melody5697

Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:24:41 am

Just to make this clear, I know very little about computers. I installed Linux Mint a little over two months ago because I hate Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I decided to try different distros because I was having a problem that nobody on the Linux Mint forums could help me with. That problem disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared, but by then I was curious about Zorin.
1. Toshiba Satellite
2. 3.8 GB
3. I do not have Zorin installed. I have Windows 10 and Linux Mint and I am attempting to run Zorin off of a DVD.
4. I do not know how to answer this question and I don't see how this information could help you figure out why this DVD won't work.
5. I have no idea and I don't see how this information would help you figure out why this DVD won't work.
6. I don't even know what that means, but since it says something about wireless, I don't see how this could help you figure out why this DVD won't work.
7. I do not have Zorin installed. I am attempting to run Zorin off of a DVD.
8. Zorin OS 9 Core

melody5697

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:53:59 pm

I give up! I decided to try Zorin OS 10 Core instead and it STILL didn't work! I just wasted four CDs because you are the least helpful people on the planet! I hope you're happy!

Wolfman

Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:19:26 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

You never answered the 2nd part of the above question!, if you burnt the disks at the wrong speed, it will most likely ruin the disks!.

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:47:23 am

melody5697 wrote:I give up! I decided to try Zorin OS 10 Core instead and it STILL didn't work! I just wasted four CDs because you are the least helpful people on the planet! I hope you're happy!

Interesting comments in view of your perception of the Mint forum! :o

melody5697

Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:30:36 am

Wolfman wrote:
Wolfman wrote:Hi,

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

You never answered the 2nd part of the above question!, if you burnt the disks at the wrong speed, it will most likely ruin the disks!.

Yes, I burned it at the slowest speed possible.

melody5697

Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:32:16 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:
melody5697 wrote:I give up! I decided to try Zorin OS 10 Core instead and it STILL didn't work! I just wasted four CDs because you are the least helpful people on the planet! I hope you're happy!

Interesting comments in view of your perception of the Mint forum! :o

They suggested all kinds of things that didn't work and the problem simply disappeared the next day. I apologize for overreacting.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:46:32 pm

Have marked as [RESOLVED] ;) :D

melody5697

Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:09:54 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Have marked as [RESOLVED] ;) :D

I never said the problem is gone...

melody5697

Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:11:31 pm

This isn't resolved at all, so I'm changing it back.

melody5697

Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:08:55 pm

I got it to work by using a flash drive instead, but I'm definitely sticking to Mint.

mdiemer

Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:08:13 am

Advice to melody5697: Patience is a virtue. Linux is not like Windows or Apple. But it is worth taking the time to learn it. If you don't want Microsoft taking over your computer, and don't want to pay twice as much for an Apple, then Linux will give YOU control over your computer, for free. Not a bad deal. but it does take time. The answers are out there. sometimes I get help from forums, sometimes from googling (actually, ducking, since I use DuckDuck). If you can be patient and have some spare time, you can definitely learn this. Not that I have; I'm just a noobie myself. But I'm having a ball with it. It's like growing up, leaving the security of your parents' (i.e. Microsoft's) house, and striking out on your own. It's an adventure. If you approach it that way, you will have success, and a lot of fun in the process.