This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dual Boot with Ubuntu 14.04

lockettpots

Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:23:59 pm

Hi
I've just installed Zorin Ultimate 10 and although the install seems to have gone OK, when I boot up the computer I don't get a menu to choose between Ubuntu and Zorin. It just boots straight into Ubuntu.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm a Linux newbie from Windows 7 so any instructions need to be at Dumbo level I'm afraid.

Thanks in advance

John

lockettpots

Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:28:56 pm

Perhaps I should add that I have the Ubuntu system on an ssd and the Ubuntu home files on a 1 TB hard drive. Looking at the drives with "discs" I can see a new partition on the ssd but it is not marked as bootable.

John

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:15:37 am

Hi, When you install Zorin (or Buntu) you are best doing this manually.

1. Create a root partition '/' formatted to ext4 (should be ext2 for SSD) of about 30 Gb (30 x 1024 = 30,720) and make it Primary so it will boot.

2. Create an Exteneded Partition and at the END of the partition create a 4096 Mib of 'swap area' - everything in front should be made '/home' and formatted to 'ext4' (ext2 for SSD)

3. Dual booting two GNU/Linux distros might be worth creating a 512 Mb '/boot' partition - this cannot be ext2 - it HAS to be 'ext4' and place GRUB for Zorin in the /boot partition after end of your 'Buntu' partition.

Keep us posted! :D