This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ZorinOS10 - Manual partitioning offsetting partitions

7vincent7black7

Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:13:24 pm

Update: Nevermind. I've decided to forgo manual partitioning and just trust the OS to know what is best for itself. I used "Something Else" to point the Bootloader to my external hard drive, then just told it to go back adn wipe out whatever is on the external hard drive and install to that. Pointing it to the SP A60 specifically. So, I will see if that works out.

I have an HP Probook 450 G2 with 6 Gigs of Memory and a 1-2 Terabyte hard drive. I've burned the Zorin OS 10 Ultimate ISO to a Disc, and I am booting to it with the interest of installing this OS to an external Hard Drive. The external Hard Drive is a Silicon Power Armor 60 2 TB USB 3.0 external Hard drive.

I successfully boot to the disc, connect to the nextwork, and when I get to the window that asks how I want to Install the Operating System, in order to target the external hard drive, I tick the box that says "Something Else".

My SP A60 (above mentioned external hard drive), after some time, has been formatted via the live boot Disks Utility into an unpartitioned GPT partition table. I select the Silicon Power external hard drive from teh drop down list at the bottom, then start breaking the 2 TB of free space into partitions.

So, I first select free space and make a Primary partition of 30,000 Mb for an ext4 " / " partition. (I have the space and want to be safe)
I then make a boot partition (which may come in handy later), and to be safe, make it 400 Mb. Which usually comes out to 402 mb.
I then make a Logical Swap Area of 8000 Mb.
Finally, I make the rest a Logical Ext4 /home partition.

Every time I try to click Install Now, a dialogue box pops up saying that my " / " partition is offset by 1024, 512, or 3584 (or whatever that number was) bytes, and I can click Back or Continue, but no matter what, I am NOT allowed to install the Operating System. I have been trying to install this OS off and on for over a Month, and am finally creating a help thread because it refuses to not have this annoying issue crop up. I've formatted adn reformatted, partitioned and re-partitioned, and I am about to give up and never using this d*** thing. (excuse the momentary lapse, I am frustrated)

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:28:26 pm