This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

i have a question...

kairomatrix

Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:31:25 am

Thanks to the friends here who have the opportunities to answer my post..... but as an very active user of zorin i have another question... by default the firewall is running as soon i turned on my computer or need to be activated manually each time i turn on? i need to know if i am secure online. And if no - how i can make a permanent firewalled connection/ thanks!!

shengchieh

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:23:31 am

Open up a (accersory ->) terminal and type top. You'll see all the processes running. I don't see any on my zorin lite, but I
may be wrong - can a zorin developer can chime in.

To add a firewall, either

add an external firewall (instead of using the computer CPU), or

add firestarter via synaptic package manager.

Sheng-Chieh

kairomatrix

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:15:32 pm

thanks to the friends here for fast answers..,,,, this last week i had been downloading somes new softwares....i dont know if this or some of them change something on my "default" [control center].....now i wish to change my desktop wallpaper but : i cant find where!!! anyone know and can sAY to me, how and where i can change my desktop wallpaper?? thansk!!

cheetah

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:15:07 pm

there are 2 ways that i know of right click on the desktop and the bottom option is "change desktop Background" the other way is click on the start button and go into control center > Appearance then click the background tab. if you don't see the background you want you can always click the add button at the bottom and navigate to the picture you are looking for

VanR

Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:47:05 pm

Open a terminal and type in:

sudo ufw enable

That should start your firewall and start it every time you start your computer.

Linx

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:32:09 am

it complete honesty ... in most distros of linux you really don't need a firewall ... it wont change anything ..

A firewall blocks incomming or outgoing connections based on port numbers ...

in linux .. if you don't install a program that you plan on using over the network (like openssh-server or vnc-server or apache2) then Zorin will decline any traffic anyway ... the reason windows needs it is cause there are alot of default open ports ...

Just to verify I actually did a port scan (port = firewall) [from another computer] and here are the results

ME@MyprivateServer:~$ sudo nmap -sS -p 1-65535 192.168.100.100
Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-01-12 02:26 CST
Nmap scan report for ~omit~
Host is up (0.00019s latency).
Not shown: 65534 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp open ssh
MAC Address: ~omit~
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.44 seconds
ME@MyprivateServer:~$

and port 22 is used by openssh-server which is something I installed on my computer ...
I have had Zorin OS on this computer for about 6 months ...
also I made sure my firewall is disabled

as long as you don't install programs without knowhing what they are or what they are for ... you should not have any issue, and likely will not need a firewall