This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Uninstalling A Program

mdiemer

Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:29:55 am

I did a stupid thing (what, me do a stupid thing?) - I was attempting to install Palemoon, but I downloaded the 64 bit version, when my Zorin is 32 bit. I tried to remove it with the apt-get remove command, but it said "no such file found." what do I do? Try installing the 32 bit version "over" it, hoping it will remove the incorrect one? I won't do anything until I hear from someone, for fear I will mess things up even more.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:35:58 pm

Hi, if you download and incorrect version of something, usually it won't install - it should have just downloaded the package file to your downloads folder and nothing else - how did you try to install it?

1. Software Centre/er
2. Gdebi
3. Synaptic Package Manager
4. Terminal

? ;) :D

mdiemer

Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:30:33 pm

Hi Swarf, I installed it manually, using a series of commands from the Mint forum. (I was also trying to install it on Mint. In fact, the reason I ended up putting the wrong version on Zorin, is because I was on Zorin, when I thought I was on Mint. Maybe I should just pick one and stick with it....which would be zorin). The guy on Mint has responded with some ways to undo it, which I'll try later on. I need to go out and enjoy this 50 degree weather we're having before it's gone).

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:15:21 am

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted! :D

mdiemer

Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:09:40 am

A question: in the process of installing/uninstalling Palemoon, I noticed a new icon on my desktop. It's for Remmina. I don't know what this program is, or how it got there. It says it's a remote desktop client. I don't need this. If it's part of Zorin, OK. but if I downloaded it by mistake, I will need to remove it.

Also, I can't seem to get Palemoon installed so that it works, on either Zorin or Mint. I'm just going to give up on it for now. Also, did I mention I had another shutdown on Mint Xfce 64? This happened with only that drive connected. I may need to only run 32 bit Linux, until I figure out what's going on. I may get rid of Mint. Their forum is full of ads. Makes me feel like I'm being watched (which of course I am as the ads are tailored to me). This forum may be smaller, but I get the help I need here. And I like Zorin better anyway.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:13:05 pm

Hi, Your easiest route would be to open up Software Centre/er, click on the 'installed' icon on the bar at the top, expand 'Internet' and 'Remmina will be shown near the bottom - select it then click on 'Remove' - you will be asked for your login password before it can do this.

56.jpg

Regarding Pale Moon, interesting thread here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2223123

mdiemer

Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:47:18 pm

Thank you Swarf. I think I may have opened this program by mistake. If it is a normal part of Zorin, I'll just let it be. The icon was gone when I restarted the computer.

Re: Palemoon, I must sgree that it can be hard to install. but I decided to try Opera (no, my singing voice is not that good; I mean the browser). so far, I like it. It could be a good sub for Firefox, which is becoming increasingly bloated. I'm even wondering if my shutdown problems are due to Firefox not working well on my computer, or some settings not working well. I'm still OK on Zorin 32, but every other GNU/Linux OS I run has the problem, including Zorin 64. But - it only seems to happen when I'm on Firefox. So I'm going to switch everything to Opera, and maybe that will solve it.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:00:22 am

OK, Just be aware that versions of Opera post 12.16 don't allow full customisation of search engines (Google can't be got rid of but you can change to Yahoo or Bing - you can add duckduckgo but you can't make it the default one! There may be some security issues of still using Opera 12.16 but it is the only browser that let's me post images to the forum. Interestingly the final release of Makulu which is out now uses Opera developer - you don't get a menu or panel to the left which is a shame. (Makulu is only provided in 64-bit - but I did ask nicely if the dev would provide a 32-bit non p.a.e. version at some point! ;) :D

mdiemer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:32:44 am

Well, I ran into a problem with Opera: one of my emails needs PRNG, which Opera doesn't have. I updated it, but still no luck. That's a deal breaker, as I like secure email. so, I am now using Chromium. It was very easy to install, and is easy to use. Fast and intuitive, and it does have PRNG. I'm going to put it on all my Linux systems and see if the shutdowns don't happen. If so, I'll know it was a Firefox problem. I had to assure myself it was not the same as Chrome, as I stay away from all things Google.

This must be the Golden Age of the Internet. I need a new browser, I just find one with the right features, and I'm on my way. Let's hope it continues to be this free and empowering!