This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Hello Wolfman

Jesse

Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:44:26 pm

After deleting Window XP when I suffered a corrupted file or virus I couldn't fix, I've turned the entire hard drive to Linux only.

Since then I'm unable to run the "dpkg repair broken packages" function when starting the machine in Recovery mode. After selecting "Network Enable networking" or "dpkg", when the process gets to

"Continuing will remount your / file system in read/write mode and any other file system in /etc/fstab", I select "Yes" and I get the note:

"fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
/root: clean, 599025/1966080 files 3722660/7864320 blocks"

and the process stalls there. Got any ideas about fixing this without reformating the /root partition from the CD? There have been so many updates since I first installed Zorin 9 Ultimate, wouldn't it take forever?

I've dropped an Email to the help desk and they sent me here.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:13:40 am

Hi Jesse, Can you provide us with more details as to how you went about "turning whole drive over to [GNU/]Linux"?

Jesse

Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:05:18 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Can you provide us with more details as to how you went about "turning whole drive over to [GNU/]Linux"?

I don't remember exactly.

After saving my /home files, I deleted Windows XP by formatting that partition, then used the Zorin CD to re-partition a 30 GB /root at the front, a 4 GB swap on the end and whatever was left became /home in the middle. Reinstalled Zorin OS using the disk. I would call it a clean install.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:12:02 pm

OK, What Wolfman usually advises after an install is to run DPKG from the second menu option then shutting down and not going to the 'continue' procedure. 'fsck' is the GNU/Linux equivalent of 'chkdsk' which will check all drives attached to the machine. Are you unable to boot into the Zorin Desktop at all?

Jesse

Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:52:02 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:What Wolfman usually advises after an install is to run DPKG from the second menu option then shutting down and not going to the 'continue' procedure. 'fsck' is the GNU/Linux equivalent of 'chkdsk' which will check all drives attached to the machine.

Yes. I know what he advises but I can't get there. The system stalls when trying to select "Enable Networking" or "dpkg."

Are you unable to boot into the Zorin Desktop at all?

I'm writing this on my Zorin OS. To review - I can't enable networking or run dpkg in Recovery mode. The system stalls out. I have to "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" to get out of Recovery mode and boot the system from there.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:58:47 am

Is this with a machine that is connected via ethernet cable to your router?

Jesse

Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:55:56 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Is this with a machine that is connected via ethernet cable to your router?

Yes.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:39:22 pm

OK, have you installed any updates recently via the terminal or Software Updater? I know sometimes dpkg itself needs updating. ;) :D