This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin lags after returning from suspend.

ewigelicht

Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:52:28 am

We have an MSI laptop with Zorin Core 10 installed. A problem we have been having is that the OS does not function correctly after coming back from a suspend operation--it is very laggy and the wireless connection goes dead. I have read about more than one thing that can cause such a problem in these Ubuntu-based systems. Several years ago, a kernel bug was blamed; however, that was allegedly patched, so it is hard to believe that this is the problem. More recently, issues with certain nVidia graphics cards and drivers have been discussed (ours is an nVidia GeForce GTX 86M.) Also, a problem with something called "compiz" has been mentioned (I have no idea what that is.) We tried a reset commend from another forum using a "kill" command from the command line, but were told that no such command exists. Of course, one can simply disable suspend, but we would rather not be forced down that road. If anyone here has wrestled with such an issue, advice would be welcome.

mdiemer

Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:18:24 am

I had the same problem with all my Linux systems. In my case, it did turn out to be graphics related. I was advised to update to the recommended Nvidia driver, and that solved the problem. Go to: System Tools/Preferences/Additional Drivers. Run that program. It should tell you what the recommended driver is. Install that driver and check to see if it solves it.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:11:19 pm

I think the issue is different with Notebooks. See here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport ... s/Netbooks

Pres Ctrl+ F to launch 'Find in Web page' and enter MSI.

ewigelicht

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:33:48 pm

The OS reports that the latest proprietary driver is in use, so nothing doing there.

The Ubuntu forum referred to covers several models of MSI computer, but the posts date from a long time ago (October 2009, years before our machine was even built) and the only reported bug that even begins to mention suspend issues is 455408; that one does not closely describe what is happening to us (it describes blocked USB ports and failure to suspend where we have no initial trouble with the USB system.) Our machine will enter an apparent suspended state (screen off) after about 30 seconds of inactivity even if the computer is set to "do not suspend;" thus, we cannot even disable the suspend operation. Once the screen goes off, the trouble shows up and will persist until reboot.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:09:52 am

OK, see my post here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6943&hilit=suspend+issues+and+compiz&start=20#p33003

but don't attempt to remove and reinstall avant-window-navigator as Zorin has changed this significantly!