This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] New Login Menu Item

cranks

Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:28:33 am

Hi there,

I've been using Zorin for a while now, and I am using it for a media server on another pc as well.

Today I installed Kodi as a standalone session (I hope this is correct?) and can choose this as an option at the login screen.
As I am using the pc as a media server and only run sound when Kodi is running, I have been searching for a way to add a menu item at login. I found a little script that starts Kodi with ALSA that enables audio passthrough of DTS-HD material.
The little script is called 'kodi_alsa.sh' and starts Kodi with the command 'AE_SINK=ALSA kodi'

Can anyone help so I can log into the kodi as mentioned above?

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:00:36 pm

When you are greeted with the login screen that asks for your password, click on the 'Z' icon to see the other DE's (Desktop Environments) - Kodi should be listed! ;) :D

cranks

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:31:01 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:When you are greeted with the login screen that asks for your password, click on the 'Z' icon to see the other DE's (Desktop Environments) - Kodi should be listed! ;) :D

Thanks Mate...
Yes I have the other DE's but the Kodi option there has Pulse Audio only in the Audio setup in Kodi.... but what I need is an additional/amended Kodi that forces ALSA as the Audio. I know this works as I have used the AE_SINK=ALSA kodi in terminal and there I get full Audio pass through.

I found this link that describes what I am trying to achieve - ALERT - there is profanity used by this person, so if you are offended by such language please do not click on the link!!! https://gist.github.com/bmaeser/1918514429e4855d5188#file-kodi-alsa-desktop

Can you advise how I can achieve this?

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:24:27 pm

OK, I have edited out the expletives:

"fix kodi to work with ALSA and working PASSTHROUGH
Raw

readme
1 this will fix passthrough on ubuntu systems (at least with nvidia 210 via hdmi).
3 install alsa and:
5 place kodi_alsa.sh somewhere, eg in your $HOME/bin
6 place kodi-alsa.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions
8 (set path in kodi-alsa.desktop to your script)
10 restart gdm/lightdm (or reboot system)
12 pick 'KODI WITH ALSA' from dropdown on login

Raw

kodi-alsa.desktop 1 [Desktop Entry]
2 Name=KODI WITH ALSA
3 Comment=This session will start kodi with alsa
4 Exec=/home/berni/bin/kodi_alsa.sh
5 TryExec=/home/berni/bin/kodi_alsa.sh
6 Type=Application

Raw

kodi_alsa.sh
1 #! /bin/bash
3 # this makes kodi start with ALSA instead of pulse audio
5 # disable pulse audio
6 pasuspender
8 # start kodi with ALSA
9 AE_SINK=ALSA kodi"

I have never written script before but you would use Text Editor under Accessories in Zorin to write it - save each 'document' as 'kodi-alsa.desktop' and 'kodi_alsa.sh' respectively and place them where he stated.

In your instance, replace 'berni' with 'cranks' or whatever user name you use to login to Zorin with. ;) :D

cranks

Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:58:49 am

Thanks very much Swarfendor437,

I must be missing something.... I cannot get this to work...either that or have reached the limit of my skill set. :roll:

I had a different thought that maybe I could add / change the current Kodi menu item to include AE_SINK=ALSA kodi ... any ideas how I can do this??

HOLD EVERYTHING!!! I DID IT...I DID IT...I DID IT...I DID IT...I DID IT...I DID IT...I DID IT...
What I did was to change the command line for the Kodi item in xsessions to kodi_alsa.sh and changed the menu name to 'Kodi with ALSA' , rebooted and it worked!!!! Woo Hoo!!! :D :D :D :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:54:18 pm

Nice going! And thanks for sharing! 60 blue jewels to you friend! ;) :D

cranks

Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:14:29 pm

Yes it is good news isn't it Swarfendor437!

Mate....I have three other items on my list that maybe you can direct me to the right places??

1/ I want to run my HTPC which has Zorin OS installed as well as Kodi. I want the HTPC to run headless(?) without a monitor as I want to hook it up to my projector for streaming media. I don't want to fire up the PJ each time I need to access the HTPC. What to do?? :|
2/ How can I access the login screen without monitor attached so I can select Zorin or Koid when the need arises, and
3/ Can I run Kodi all the time in the foreground and remotely login to do other activities?? If this cannot be done easily (I am a bit of a novice with Ubuntu stuff) can you advise of a web gui based file manager that I can setup?? I have qtorrent installed and is running via a web gui and it would be a huge benefit to me to be able to move, rename, copy, delete files. I have looked at web admin but it doesn't help me.

Thanks so much

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:10:36 pm

Hi, please can you start a new thread for these additional requests please? I have some ideas but struggling to get them to work (and messed my login sounds whilst doing so!) :lol:

cranks

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:08:20 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, please can you start a new thread for these additional requests please? I have some ideas but struggling to get them to work (and messed my login sounds whilst doing so!) :lol:

Sure thing Swarfendor437!