This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Total freeze in boot manager.

Bigstone

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:23:02 pm

Hi!
Decided to make a dual boot with both Windows 7 and Zorin 9 at my new ssd disk but have run into trouble, when choosing "Windows" in the boot manager I get a black window covering about 80% of the screen and the computer freezes. Ctrl+Alt+Del works though and I'm able to re-boot. Zorin works ok.

Background:
The ssd is a 500Gb disc so I cut it in half during the installation of a clean windows 7, though without making any selections of having 2 OS in the future. :roll:
Windows also made a system partition (boot), so now I had 3 partitions. (Today’s sda1, sda2 and sda3, all ntfs format.)
No prob. with the windows installation.

Now I booted up the computer with the Zorin Live DVD and selected Install from the desktop.
When the installation Options screen appeared I choosed the last option - 'Something Else' and ended up in the Partition Editor.
Here I choosed the sda3 but got an error telling me I needed to make a (root) / partition. I'm somewhat unfamiliar to Linux but understand it won't run under ntfs so I choosed ext4 and the flag for (root) /.

Happy happy, now I got the message that it needed allocation for swap so I fallback into the partition manager again and claimed 10Gb from the sda3 to be swap with ext4 format.

After that it all run, formatted the sections to bee and installed Zorin.
Re-boot and got to the boot manager.
Selected Zorin and logged in. No problems.
Restated and got to the boot manager, selected Windows and... BEEEP! 80% blackscreen and total freeze! :shock: :cry:

Tried to repair windows boot on the sda1 but the log says that no problems found.
Seems to me like the boot manager never gets to call on the windows boot and ends up in a total system chrash of its own.

Any Ideas what to do?

Here is how the disc is managed today:
I have a 500Gb ssd on which I made 4 (5) different partitions.
sda1 ntfs windows system boot, 100Mb
sda2 ntfs windows
sda3 ext4 linux-swap
sda4 ext4 extended with sda5 containing Zorin 9
(And another non allocated space of 1.02Mb)

Help!

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:40:18 pm

Hi, and Welcome! I was somewhat bemused at you creating a 'swap area' with Ext4 as normally it creates the FS (File System) for swap itself (Wolfman, I think, posted somewhere that he thought it was FAT32 or similar). Having read part of this post, having a 'swap area' on an SSD is a bad move - please look at this ubuntuforum thread and be sure to read all of it:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2126327

Bigstone

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:25:52 pm

Thank you Swarfendor437 and a happy 2016! :)

Well, the system did create the swap area by it self since I selected the 'Something Else' installation mode, though it wanted me to decide how big it was to bee.
As I read thru the links and posts Linux does seems to support swap on ssd (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1937251&page=2) but that might just be a false impression I got?
Anyway, I've manage to repair windows by the cmd enabled by the repair selection on the installation dvd. Used the commands "bootrec /fixmbr" and "bootrec /fixboot" and I was once again able to log in to windows. Happy ending? Nope...
This only lead to the downfall of Grub since I now was unable to boot Zorin. :shock:

Ok, so I downloaded and created the "Boot-Repair-Disk" I read in other threads that had helped others who had ended up in similar dilemmas installing windows AFTER Ubuntu where's windows killed the boot of the linux system.
Said and done. Made a repair attempt and voila! I was able to boot up Zorin again! :) Great, well lets try boot windooh ooh....oook. so that put me back in not being able to boot windows... again. :? Now what?!

Did the magic with "bootrec /fixmbr" and "bootrec /fixboot" once more and yes.. windows works and Zorin not... :roll: a moment 22 so to speak.

Perhaps I should just wipe Zorin and merge those partitions within windows and then do the "usual" way of installing it by incorporating Zorin into the same partition as windows?? I was hoping that it was possible to keep those systems apart on different partitions and that they would live more happily ever after in such worlds but that is perhaps the wrong way?

Ideas?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:38:18 pm

OK, edited your last post - it is '...mbr' not '..mrb' ;) :D

If you know where your '/' is and its size, install EasyBCD from NeoSmart from Softpedia (saves registering with NeoSmart). This backs up your current mbr and you can then modify your EasyBCD program to add the entry for Zorin - no experience of this in terms of your scenario:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS- ... yBCD.shtml

https://vimeo.com/110085401

Bigstone

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:55:34 pm

mrb..Oops, my bad. :lol: Thanks for correcting. :)

Well, I'll give it a go ones more with EasyBCD but I don't think it will change anything. I'll let you know how it turned out.