This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Paint Shop Pro

sue

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:45:49 pm

Is there a way I can get Paint Shop Pro to work in Zorin please :)

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:20:12 pm

Not tried that. But this report suggest that it (version 9) runs on Ubuntu 14.04 (which is what Zorin is based on):

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=2505

You need to use 'WINE' to install it.

sue

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:37:03 pm

Thanks very much Swarfendor437 I need to figure out how to use Wine I have got a Paint Shop Pro 9 CD

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:41:43 pm

OK, back shortly! ;) :D

sue

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:52:01 pm

Ok thanks I am just of myself but I will try to get back soon :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:39:20 pm

OK, First go to Menu and look for "Wine" and select:

03.jpg

Next, "Browse C: Drive":

04.jpg

Click on that cog wheel top right and select 'New folder

56.jpg

Name the folder the same as what your Paint Shop Pro CD shows up as in your Desktop / Computer / Places in Zorin - in the example given is NEW - this was a free game (one of 6 CD's) that came with my first ever nVidia card:

39.jpg

Now right-click the CD and select "Open"

04.jpg

Next select all the files that are there and copy them across to the folder you created in the fake "C: drive" that WINE uses.

Next in the new folder you have copied everything too, look for 'Setup.exe', right-click and select 'Properties' then click on the 'Permissions tab' and 'check' "Allow executing file as a program" and once done click on 'Close' button:

29.jpg

Next right-click the 'Setup.exe' icon and from the context menu select "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader":

36.jpg

You should then get the first screen of your Paint Shop Pro setup screens:

10.jpg

At the end you should get one or two icons on your desktop:

29.jpg

I had some issues with this program not running in correct resolution mode so had to 'Window' it - suspect this is down to the fact it is a game and also possibly because I am using the default GNU/Linux graphics drivers instead of nVidia as it worked flawlessly on previous installations of Zorin 9!

Keep us posted! ;) :D

and a Happy New Year when it arrives! :D

sue

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:28:54 am

A Happy New Year to you as well hope it's a good one :D

Thank you very much for the explanation how to get psp it is very well done and easy to read.

I did it but the icon didn't appear on my desktop and when I got it to launch it froze so I uninstalled it I am going to give it another go but I will take it a bit slower this time I might have missed something the first time round :)

sue

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:49:05 am

I have installed it again and when the program launches and the learning center comes up it freezes and there is no icon on the desktop will post some screen shots soon but I have to get dinner on just now so will be back soon :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:55:37 pm

Hi sue,

two more approaches to try:

1. See if it will install with PlayOnLinux - it should be listed under WINE.

2. Download a copy of "Cross-Over" from Codeweavers.com - you get a 30-day free trial - they used to have a 25% discount with the phrase "cometothelight" after the "wine-doors project" went west! ;) :D

sue

Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:16:11 pm

I have installed Crossover

Just going to try to install PSP 9 so be back soon :D

here is the screenshot I was saying where it freezes

sue

Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:43:07 pm

No luck I tried both programs you said
I will have to find out how to use them properly but what I tried didn't work

Thanks for your help

I have psp7 I will have a go at that

sue

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:49:40 pm

Hurrah PSP7 is working thank you :D

I have learnt so much this afternoon thanks to you.

Still a bit of a puzzler why PSP9 won't work it's so nearly working it seems to be the learning centre that freezes it up.

Thanks again :D

sue

Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:31:36 pm

I am back again

On Crossover I get this but I don't know how to go further

After double clicking i get this

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:27:45 pm

Sorry, I can't access those images! :(

sue

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:15:07 pm

Sorry I will find out how to upload images I thought you would be able to see them :)

But for now it doesn’t matter really because I have got PSP9 to install :D :D :D :D

I did it with crossover I am not sure how I did it but it seems to be working ok I will give it a good try out tomorrow.

Thanks very much for all your help Swarfendor437 :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:21:54 am

Glad to be of service! :D

I know Cross-Over may seem expensive but it is a great piece of software and you are contributing to the WINE project in the long-run so it's a WIN(E)/WIN(E)! :lol:

Oh, how to upload screenshots to this forum (Opera Browser 12.16 works the best for Zorin and other distros for uploading screenshots);

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

sue

Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:28:18 pm

I haven't bought it yet I am still on the trial but it will stop working when the trial runs out so I had better buy it :shock:

Thanks for the help on uploading images :D