This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Oh No...what happened!?!!?!?!

cranks

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:30:57 am

A few days ago I was contemplating install OPENELEC on my media server.

Following the instructions I created a boot usb disk and after the process finished I removed the usb drive and turned off my laptop.

I came home today from holidays and turned on my laptop to check emails and to my horror I was confronted with a grub rescue> prompt... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I commandeered my daughter's laptop to investigate a fix.... one of the fixes I found here.... http://opensource-sidh.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/recover-grub-live-ubuntu-cd-pendrive.html

enabled my laptop to boot into one of the Ubuntu distros I have installed on one hdd.... but I cannot boot into my Zorin distro on the second hdd.

Gparted showed the second hdd as dev/sdb1 and shows a warning. A screenshot of the error is attached...

Screenshot 02Jan16.jpg
Warning Screenshot

Next I tried to click on what I think is the drive in my file manager and got this...

'Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/cranks/5046c07e-09d8-4b37-9416-8ef5cd0e9e68: Command-line `mount -t "ext4" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/sdb1" "/media/cranks/5046c07e-09d8-4b37-9416-8ef5cd0e9e68"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so
'

Desperately I come to you guys for help!

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:33:08 pm

Hi, I noticed from the screenshot it states that the Zorin drive is 'unmounted' - could this be an error with the 'mount manager' on the other distro? Is this a notebook that can take two hard drives? Have you taken the hdd cover/holder out to ensure the second drive is properly connected? ;) :D

cranks

Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:37:26 pm

Yep...I physically checked the 2nd HDD and it is connected.

Interestingly, the 2nd HDD is identified in GParted and shows the previous warning. It also shows in Disks as being auto mounted - but isn't mounted!?!?!.

I have a feeling when I created the OPENELEC usb drive, the process somehow messed up my system. I am trying to find a way to get it back and not loose files I wanted to keep.

cranks

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:44:20 pm

In checking further I found that Gparted reports the size of /dev/sdb as 256Mb, but it should be 268Gb as that is the size I chose when installing Zorin on this HDD in the first place.

Looks like my Zorin installation has gone and I need to do a new install!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:31:25 am

Have you tried using Test Disk to see if you can recover your data?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11355#p50780

You could also try booting Zorin Live disk to see if you can access your /home folder for data? ;)

cranks

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:16:38 am

Nah....couldn't see home folder so I ended up reinstalling!