This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Repeated login help!

luckyvision

Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:42:16 pm

OK, complete newb to Linux.
Playing with it and going by Linux for dummies, I tried to play with GNOME. I had to log on as root. Some how I messed things up where when I boot or change users (basicly ever time I try to use the computer) it asks me for my password.
When I enter it, it asks me again over and over. The pword is correct, if I enter an incorrect pwd it tells me.
Watching the screen it LOOK like the gui is reloading every time. I can boot from USB or login as guest, but with neither is my desktop or files shown.
Help! Lol

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:17:42 am

Somehow you appear to have a corrupt install. If you have any data you need backing up, boot with live media to explore your /home folder to retrieve any data you need to recover and do a fresh install - are you only running GNU/Linux or are you attempting dual-boot with Windows?

Please note:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

luckyvision

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:30:34 pm

I am dual booting with windows xp.
Just a question for clarification:
The original install wasn't corrupt, I don't believe, as I have been using Zorin for a few weeks. So the one time I play with terminal a bit I corrupted the install?

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:33:08 pm

Yep, that's what it appears to be - you are better not creating a root user - you just special commands in the Terminal to make yourself as root:

1. sudo

2. gksudo nautilus to give you absolute root privileges

3. Temporary ownership of a directory or file otherwise locked:

Code:
sudo chown [your username] [name of file/folder]

luckyvision

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:38:40 pm

OK, so in Windows (sorry, just trying to keep this relatable) there would be a cfg file I could modify. I feel like there is now an extra command in the comprable Linux file that is telling Linux to reload the GUI after the password and its stuck in a loop.
Can I not fix this?...

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:02:50 pm

Hi, see if any of these suggestions work:

http://popularubuntuquestions.com/ubunt ... ogin-loop/

luckyvision

Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:18:31 pm

Ok seemed to fix it with reply #6 on your link:
Sudo apt-get install gdm.
but now the mouse pointer has vanished lol.
Ill keep playing with it.