This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Folder search freeze

Ingemar82

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:12:51 pm

Hi,

I wish you all a happy new year. I am new to the forums and linux. I just tried a bunch of linux distros and found Zorin OS 10 to be just amazing. But I do have one problem, which I think is pretty bad for my usage of computer. Lets get to the problem itself.. when I try to use search in folders explorer (I dont know how to name folder explorer in Zorin ) and then I click into that magnifying lens icon and star to type my search.. the the whole computer freezes.. I cant move mouse or use keyboard.. the only solution is a hard reset. But when I try to search only a small folder.. then it does work, but still lags a bit when the search engine tries to find results.. My guess is that when you type lets say word "picture" and when I start typing P + I ... then it just wants to find every relevant search for "P" then "I" and overloads. Does anyone have similar problems? I am using core Zorin os 10 on my laptop, which is lenovo thinkpad edge e531.

Thank you for all the help..

P.s. I tried to searc for similar problems, but could find it.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:13:23 pm

Hi, the explorer in Zorin is called Nautilus and is embedded in the system. You could give 'Thunar' a try - just search for it in 'Synaptic Package Manager' - Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager. You will be asked for your password when launching this app as you need 'root' (administration) privileges to install - just like that other OS. ;) :D

Please note that Zorin 10 reaches end of life this month - the same as the OS it was built on, Ubuntu 15.04. Zorin 9 is supported until April 2017. ;) :D