This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) ADD FAVORITES

oxo42

Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:02:04 pm

Hi
How can I add "FAVORITES" to the Menu List.

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:23:51 pm

Hi, In the past, changing the menu look to 'Gray' had a Favourites button added but from recollection only got this working in Zorin 6. In 9 the only way I have just tried this is to 'Edit' the Menu:

1. Right-click the 'Z' of the ZorinMenu button and select 'Edit' (if this does not work you may need to install 'alacarte' - search for it in 'Synaptic Package Manager':

1.jpg

2. On the Window that opens, select 'New Menu' Button, and name the new menu 'Favorites':

2.png

Where the 'star' is you would get a blue folder - we want to identify it so I chose this one by searching in Nautilus - Computer | usr | share | icons for 'Favorite' - there are two choices - star and heart - I have highlighted the location of this particular icon by right-clicking the scalable icon properties to establish it's exact location, in this instance /usr/share/icons/Humanity/48x48:

3.png

Now it won't show in the menu until we add some items (bizarrely it decided to change it from Star to Heart!). So we open the 'Edit' function of the menu once more and in this example I have chosen VLC media player to find out its properties as we need to know the run command:

4.jpg

we need to highlight all the text that appears in the Command: box to paste in the Command: box in the 'New Item' we create in the 'Favorites' menu.

08.png

and it's icon:

20.png

And the final result:

35.jpg

oxo42

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:25:16 pm

Hi Swarfendor437.

Many thanks for your detailed instructions.
Before I go any further it will be important to me to know a few things first:-

1) Do I have to configure each programe individually that I want in the" FAVORITES" Menu item.

2) Or should I be able to add programes to the "FAVORITES" from the "Add to Favorites" option in the right click menu / I have tried this lots of times but it appears not to work

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:21:15 pm

Yes you will have to do it that way - or easier still just pin your favourites to the panel as 'launchers' - a lot easier! Favorites used to work in the past but I think Team Zorin have tweaked things so much that you are limited to some extent as to what you can do. ;) :D

oxo42

Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:44:23 pm

Hi

I have decided not to go ahead with the changes / but I will bookmark your post and come back to it at a later date if I feel the need to !

In the meantime I will pin apps to the panel as you suggested it is much easier and quicker to add or take away items / making it much more flexible.

As allways you provide good support. Many Thanks.