This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Messed Up Nvidia Settings

cranks

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:53:13 am

I have been struggling to get my HTPC to connect to my Espon TW8200 Projector via HDMI. After talking to Epson Cust Support I was advised the handshake was not happening correctly as other devices connect.

So I decided to bite the bullet and replace the video card with a Gigabyte GT610 card. I installed it tonite and used the proprietary nvidia drivers in the system but it still didn't connect. When my HTPC rebooted I was presented with a blank screen showing only the following lines.

Zorin OS 9 HTPC tty1
HTPC Login:

I asked Mr Google for help and he showed me this post http://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8691 by one of your own . I did this and watched the screen eagerly as the updates were occurring. As per the instructions I rebooted and the tty1 login reappeared...obviously this didn't work!

I am thinking the video settings are totally messed up and all drivers need to be cleaned out, and the right drivers need to be installed.

BTW: I also remotely login using NoMonitor and this is where I noticed this issue...

Can anyone help me?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:06:24 pm

Hi, I don't do remote login apart from TeamViewer occasionally to assist others. Before installing proprietary drivers I would just go with the Nouveau GNU/Linux drivers that come with Zorin - I would be tempted to do a reinstall first, and NOT installing the proprietary drivers. ;) :D
Sorry I cannot assist on the video projector! :(

cranks

Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:54:30 pm

Do you mean reinstall Zorin to resolve the display issue? I don't want to do this if I can avoid it as I am using the pc as a Media Server and have it set up pretty much the way I want it.

Can I just reinstall the nouveau' GNU/Linux drivers?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:33:48 pm

Yes you can go back to Nouveau:

Nouveau.png

Get to it by: Menu System Tools Administration Software Updater - click on the settings button after pressing 'Cancel' then go to the last tab - 'Additional Drivers' as shown above. ;) :D

cranks

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:13:33 pm

Thanks Mate! That did the trick!!

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:31:16 am

Great! :D Can this thread be marked as [SOLVED] now? ;)

cranks

Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:23:20 am

Yup...