This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

My Zorin OS 10, freezes totally shorrtly after opening

Trillax

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:37:39 pm

I am having problems with Zorin S 10, and I need some help getting them resolved. I have other Linux distros on my PC and it is only Zorin that is giving me grief. When I select to boot into Zorin, before I see the login screen I always get this message which states that the 'ACPI PCC Probe failed' starting 219. after several seconds, it opens to the login window. I logged in and a moment or two later I am on the desktop. The Apps are generally slow to open, but that is not the issue here. Within a few minutes, everything is locked down, cursor, keys, all are frozen. I tried to hold down the 'Alt & SysReq keys while typing R E I S U B, which was supposed to close it down so I could reboot. Nothing happened and I was compelled to power off from the Tower.

I don't know whether I am gong to like Zorin or not. Not if I can not solve this 'freeze' issue

Trillax

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:41:36 pm

Well first off, please be aware that Zorin 10 was only a 'developmental' release (just like Ubuntu 15.04 which also comes to an end on 31.1.2016 on which it is based!) - support for it ceases at the end of this month - I would advise installing Zorin 9 unless you are happy to run distros without security updates! ;) :D

Trillax

Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:27:06 pm

I was unaware Zorin OS 10 was developmental, but I have set in motion my acquiring Zorin OS 9. In the hope, it will prove to be less problematical than what I have currently. I like my security updates.
Thank you for your quick response.

:x I received a DVD disc of Zorin OS 9.1, last Friday I installed it in place of the Zorin OS 10 which I had in my PC. This Zorin had the open source driver 'Nouveau (sp) I tried to install the Nvidia 304 driver but was unsuccessful. While I can log into Zorin that is all I can do. I am in the same situation I was with Zorin 10.

As with Zorin 10 when I tried to enable Network to allow me to install the Nvidia driver using "sudo apt-get install Nvidia-current" I was continually redirected back to the list of options of which Network was one.

I had hoped my problems with Zorin OS would be done with when I got the DVD of Zorin OS 9, but it has proven to be no better than Zorin OS 10.

1-22-16
I did another installation of Zorin OS 9.1, this time, around I checked the box to install updates as the install was running. I did not expect any change but was pleasantly surprised when it loaded well after my login. I do have a couple issues but the subject of this thread has been resolved to my satisfaction.

1-23-16
I am having difficulty marking this as 'Solved'. Followed instructions but could get no further than [Solv, and that was on the left of the Subject line.