This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Bind Zorin menu to Super Key?

h4n4t0

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:11:45 am

Hello! I know this question has been asked plenty of times, but I have yet to find a satisfying answer to this issue. So far I'm really really enjoying Zorin, but I really can't stand not being able to press the super/windows key and not have the Zorin menu pop up...

Anyhow, I tried the Gnumenu thing, and while it works, it opens the Gnumenu, not the Zorin menu. All I need is to know what the command to open the Zorin menu is, that's it. I can assign the shortcut on my own. But for some reason I can't find what the command is anywhere! Sorry if this is a noobish question, but I really can't find it. I just need something I can type into terminal and it'll open the Zorin Menu right up... Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:43:23 pm

Hi, Basically there isn't one as I have explained elsewhere, which I suspect is down to the Zorin Team assigning the windows key with the Tab key for "window stacking" effect. Whilst GnoMenu offers different themes I thought (could be wrong!) that the Zorin Menu themes are still there?
Right-click the Z in GnoMenu, Select Preferences, then in the Menu element of the interace that opens, use the drop-down arrow to change the theme. If they are not there, you could look at taking ownership of the GnoMenu folder and ZorinMenu folder and copy the menu (themes?) from one to the other - Keybinding ONLY works with GnoMenu - or install Cinammon DE and then you can use not only the left windows key to launch the menu but also the right one! ;) :D

h4n4t0

Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:37:31 pm

Thanks for the reply! And I see, that's strange then. How come you can't bind keys to Zorin Menu if it's based off Gnomenu, in which you can? And I'll check out the themes now, thanks :)

Nope, there is no Zorin theme available for Gnomenu. Where is the Zorin theme folder located at?

h4n4t0

Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:59:49 pm

Nevermind, I found it. Even though it works, like you said it ends up removing all binding related to Zorin menu, so I'm just gonna live without the Super key for a while. Hopefully it'll be added in a future update, thanks anyways.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:59:12 pm

Hi, Wolfman has requested this in the past but it looks like it is not possible - if you look at GnoMenu, then you can install other themes that are similar - here's one that Gizmuntu made:

17.jpg