This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't read data on dvds

Jackalope

Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:53:50 pm

Hello, I've been trying out Zorin via Live USB and I'm very happy with it, there's only one problem I'm having that's keeping me from purchasing the Ultimate version. If I put in a movie dvd it plays fine, no problems at all, but when I put in a dvd with data-type files (pics, pdf's, avi's, etc.) it always shows them as being blank. Is there some way I can get around this and access those files? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:50:20 pm

Have you tried opening VLC first for your avi's and browsing to the DVD? Was the DVD created on a different optical drive in another machine that your Zorin Box does not have, and therefore may not support the DVD? (e.g., DVD+ DVD- DVD-RW, DVD+RW? Have you tried launching 'Image Viewer' and then adding the images to your library that way? ;) :D

Jackalope

Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:47:17 pm

Hi Swarfendor, thanks for the reply. I've tried all of those methods and more, they all show the DVDs (DVD-R) as being blank. They were all created on the drive in the current machine I'm using, and all read fine in Windows. I've searched around the net and didn't find anything helpful and am at a loss for what to do next. Any other ideas?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:49:36 pm

Just found this :(

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2247993

(Zorin 9 is based on Ubuntu 14.04)