This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dock is gone

esanger22

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:32:04 pm

Hello, I am brand new to Zorin...couldn't stand windows any longer, and am in the process of installing Zorin on all household PC computers. I have an HP G72 Laptop that it is currently installed on, currently on the default Windows 7 theme, and the dock at the bottom, or "start bar", is there when you boot it. At random intervals, the dock completely disappears and can't get it back without a restart. I made sure to install graphics drivers (intel graphics) the first time it happened, this had no affect. I searched the forums, and found a few relatively similar forums, but all different versions of Zorin (im running 10 core). Please advise! I really like Zorin, really want to make it work.

Currently running Zorin 10, and the dock disappears randomly, and wont come back unless I reboot, or navigate into look changer and click Windows 7 again, then it will return. Any help is greatly appreciated, I am new to Zorin and am replacing all my windows pcs with Zorin, just trying to workout the only bug I see. Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:27:14 am

Hi, firstly please be aware that Zorin 10 will no longer be supported after January 2016. I have only just discovered that Zorin 11 Beta is out via a post by forum member in Chat section! My advice would be to drop back to Zorin 9 as will be the next short term release and have the same Ubuntu life cycle as Ubuntu 15.10 - July 2016. I suspect Zorin 12 to be out over summer this year which will be long-term release (5 years = 2021) Zorin 9 support ends April, 2019.

esanger22

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:33:22 am

Excellent advice!! I greatly appreciate your input! Is there a way to drop back without formatting and starting fresh? Just curious.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:41:56 pm

My personal preference is to back up the '/home' folder (remembering to press 'Ctrl+H' to see all the hidden files which contain your apps settings etc) and save to external device/DVD-RW, then do a fresh install - I would back up first in any event - you could try the equivalent of an upgrade procedure as outlined in Wolfman's excellent post install guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9785