This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

backup

G Brown

Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:28:10 pm

Just tried to do first backup. comes up with box saying access denied. Do I first have to manually create a backup folder as per screen? Yes I clicked switch to ON. I am only user on home PC so should have full access

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:54:28 pm

I think your backup only backs up your documents etc - if you want to do a full backup, use 'redobackup' from redobackup.org - it's free and also based on Ubuntu. What version of Zorin are you running? ;)

G Brown

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:21:37 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I think your backup only backs up your documents etc - if you want to do a full backup, use 'redobackup' from redobackup.org - it's free and also based on Ubuntu. What version of Zorin are you running? ;)

Hi Swarfendor437
I have Zorin 10 on a new desktop. Been Windows for years and lost it with Win10....So just learning my way through. Not many files on here as yet but thought I would start out right for a change. It was installed by shop,but I should have full privaleges $ at terminal (?) I will look at redobackup (is that used from terminal or GUI ? (I only ask because I downloaded midnight commander and then couldn't find it....! bit wary of using terminal at present)
Thanks for getting back to me

G Brown

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36:57 pm

Swarfendor437.
Re Redobackup.....Hmmm Bad references about it not always working and no longer supported since 2012. I will hold tight for a while and see what else turns up..Thanks anyways
George

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:56:27 pm

Hi George - Stephanie on here tried it without any issues - true it was last geared up for 12.04 but in principle it should hold up - I even used it to backup a works rig in case the new managed service went haywire! ;) :D

Just had a look at the reviews on the main page - if you need a paid for solution then I guess Acronis - I only updated to Version 8 which is quite old now - I even posted a tutorial video on veoh.com on how to use Acronis - I also have the full Home version which includes a (not as good) Disk Director Package compared to Acronis Disk Director 11! What is interesting about Acronis is that it uses GNU/Linux - how do I know this? Because if you look into the Windows registry for it you will come across something called 'Cygwin' - this was a piece of software to run GNU/Linux apps on Windows - and it is (or was!) a security issue, i.e., cygwin posed a weak link for hackers to take control of a machine. But that was quite a few years ago when running XP.

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Run_Linux_A ... in_Windows - where 'cygwin' gets a mention but not about security risks.