This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Getting a black screen when trying to install Zorin OS

Meowstic

Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:16:35 pm

Hello,

first of all keep in mind that im totally new to Zorin OS and all that Linux stuff so i want a step by step solution
So when im trying to install Zorin OS when i select the Install Zorin OS option all i get is a black screen
Then i tried the nomodset option and now i can see a Zorin OS Loading screen
But then it turns into a black Zorin OS loading screen
after 4 seconds that OK turns into red text and the screen goes completely black, i can't really see what that red text says because this is a half a second moment
Sorry if my English aren't good, im from Greece so let me know if you didn't understand what i said i wll try to give you a better explanation
Thank you very much, have a nice day.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:02:35 pm

Hi, and Καλώς όρισες!

Please provide us with more information:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

Meowstic

Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:13:41 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, and Καλώς όρισες!

Please provide us with more information:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

Hello and thank you for replying!
Here is the information you asked for:
Laptop model: Lenovo G780
Ram: 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
The hard drive is completely empty with only one partition
GPU: NVDIA GeForce GT 635M
Audio Chip: Don't know but if its that important i can install Windows to tell you
Wireless Dongle or PCI Card, or Wireless chipset: Don't know but if its that important i can install Windows to tell you
Yes i did tried to boot Zorin from the DVD and i got the same result
Zorin version: Zorin OS 9

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:50:24 pm

You could try a "text-based" installation as outlined by decalman's great instructions here - but no guarantees!:

viewtopic.php?t=8004#p38744

Meowstic

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:03:18 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:You could try a "text-based" installation as outlined by decalman's great instructions here - but no guarantees!:

viewtopic.php?t=8004#p38744

Thanks for the reply.

So that didn't work either... so i ended up installing Ubuntu and luckily that version of Linux installed just fine absolutely no problems
And i like it so far so i might as well stick with it.

Thank you and have a nice day ^-^

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:15:06 pm

No problem - which version of Ubuntu out of curiosity? Just out of curiosity, was this the only OS you intended running on the machine or was it dual-boot, and if so which version of Windows? Did you attempt to use any of the other options below 'nomodeset'? If it ever presented itself with press 'E' to edit the boot parameters you could have added:

Code:
acpi=off noapic nolapic xforcevesa
;) :D

Meowstic

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:41:32 pm

Hi,
So i used Ubuntu 15.10 and no this machine has ran a couple of other Operating Systems with no problems it has ran the following Operating Systems
Windows 7 - Fine with no problems
Windows 8 - Fine with no problems
Windows 8.1 - Fine with no problems
Windows 10 - Fine with no problems
Ubuntu 15.10 - Fine with no problems
Zorin OS 9 - Installation problems
And no i didn't attempt to use the other options and im not quite sure what you asked about those Boot Parameters. Like i said im completely new to Linux

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:03:27 pm

OK, as 15.10 is working fine you may want to try Zorin 11 Beta which is based on 15.10 - but be advised that both Ubuntu 15.10 and Zorin 11 expire July this year. ;) :D