This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't Boot Up Zorin OS9 on Desktop

nrthman17

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:10:24 am

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS Desktop 2007. It has two hard drives, Professional Version 2002 service pak 3. Intel R Pentium R D CPU 2.80GHz 3.50 GB RAM Dell DXP051 BIOS Revision A07
Disk C has 200 GB free space and Disk D 29.37 GB Free

I am trying to Dual Boot a Zorin OS9 from 64 bit USB stick, but all I get is "selected boot device not available." I have tried different settings in the set up (F2), but nothing worked.

I back up everything and cleared space on the computer drives to have enough space and memory to operate both systems. I would like to still be able to use XP until I can get a new printer for Zorin and downloading pics from my camera (Canon rebel) to XP. Also every time I boot up the desktop with XP I get a:

Error in C/Windows/System32?spool/Drives/w32x86/3/DL CDTime.dll
Missing entry:RunDLL Entry

Questions:
Could the above missing entry be the problem?
What can I do to get my desktop to accept the Zorin USB download?
Is Zorin OS 9 too much for my desktop?
Would it be better to download LXLE to the desktop?
My version of LXLE is 32 bit will that work on my desktop?

Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:40:45 pm

Hi, Could you give a link to a specification sheet of your Dell to establish whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit? Also did it come with separate graphics card, optical drive (CD/DVD drive), Floppy Drive? ;) :D

nrthman17

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:30:32 pm

Hello Swarfendor437,

Thanks for the reply. Here is all the info I have from the Dell website when I put my service tag number in:
Service Tag
XXXXXXX
Express Service Code
XXXXXXXXXXX
Computer Model
Dell DXP051
BIOS Vendor
Dell Inc.
BIOS Version
A07
BIOS Date
1/8/2007
OS Version
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Processor
Manufacturer
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
Clock Speed
2.8Ghz
L2 Cache Size

Memory
Available Memory
79.20 %
Page File Size
2,047.9MB
Available Page File
87.97 %
Virtual Memory
2,047.9MB
Available Virtual Memory
97.87 %
DIMM_1
1,024.0MB
DIMM_3
1,024.0MB
DIMM_2
1,024.0MB
DIMM_4
1,024.0MB

Drive
C:
Type
Drive Size
232.8GB
Total Available Space
207.8GB
Used Space
25.0GB
Drive
D:
Type
Drive Size
31.3GB
Total Available Space
9.0GB
Used Space
22.2GB
Drive
E:
Type
Drive Size
201.5GB
Total Available Space
187.8GB
Used Space
13.7GB
Drive
F:
Type
Drive Size
Total Available Space
Used Space
Drive
G:
Type
Drive Size
Total Available Space
Used Space
Drive
H:
Type
Drive Size
Total Available Space
Used Space
Hardware

Hardware
Type
Description
DVD/CD-ROM Drives
TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352C
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B
Disk Drives
WDC WD2500XXXXXXXXX
WDC WD2500XXXXXXXXX
Dell USB Mass Storage USB Device
Display Adapters
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
Primary IDE Channel
Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller
Keyboards,Mice & Pointing Devices
USB Human Interface Device
Monitors
Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Devices
Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
USB Controllers
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC

I don't know it one of these is for a graphic card, nothing specifically states it, I know I didn't order anything like that for gaming which i don't do. No there is no floppy drive, but in screwing around with my drive settings I think I activated some option for it.
Also about two years ago I was having a lot of problems with my desktop so I did a reboot of the XP OS system. It was having a problem downloading the original discs that came with the computer, so I used the software that came with our Dell Laptop a windows vista program from around 2009. That should be a 32 bit system if its for a laptop, right? That could be why I have that error window I stated. I am not sure were to
find if I have a optics drive?

Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:18:26 pm

Hi, Don't panic - I edited your post after saving some details to avoid any possible hacks to your machine - an advisory here - hop you aren't using XP on the internet as you could be a target for 3rd parties using your machine to launch attacks on others! ;)

OK will check out the system on Dell Website for information on the CPU.

Back later! ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:39:59 pm

nrthman17 wrote:Error in C/Windows/System32?spool/Drives/w32x86/3/DL CDTime.dll
Missing entry:RunDLL Entry

Not sure if relevant but this is what I found with a similar issue to yours:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo ... t/17825440

Now in respect of your BIOS you have an A07 Bios - did you update it to the last version that was updated in 2011?:

24.jpg

Your Optical Drive is your DVD+-RW - the reason I ask is that if you can get hold of a DVD, check out the downloaded iso of Zorin with winmd5free from winmd5.com - my tutorial video here:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v28335038JpeNGXzP

If the md5sum matches the one given on the official Zorin website you are good to go. To burn to DVD ensure you ONLY USE imgburn - get it from https://ninite.com from the 'Utilities' part of the page and burn a DVD at slowest possible speed your burner will allow.

Now in respect of your partitioning you have what appears to be 4 partitions - now from the information you provided it is not possible to tell if they are all marked as 'Primary' Partitions - if they are, you will never get Zorin installed.
And if you only have 1 primary partition you will need to do a manual partition before installation.

You have an nVidia Graphics card/chipset.

Before you go any further, go to the Dell website and ensure all your hardware is updated by downloading the necessary drivers - in particular the BIOS. ;) :D

nrthman17

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:40:16 am

Thanks for editing my post, I had no idea I was making myself vulnerable. I downloaded all the drivers my computer would accept. Also i have not and even with the new driver updates been able to burn or transfer documents to a CD R. That is why I bought the Zorin OS 9 62bit USB stick (persistent).I also have a 32 bit Zorin OS 9 USB stick as well if that would be lighter to use for my computer.

Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:50:52 pm

Now you say you 'bought' Zorin on USB - where from?

nrthman17

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:29:03 pm

I bought it from OSDISC.com
Zorin OS 9.1 Core - 32GB USB Flash Drive (64-bit)

The other Zorin OS 9 is for a 32 bit for a laptop and I downloaded that one from the net to a USB, it should also be persistent. I set the storage capacity to max as per instruction to make it persistent.

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:01:11 pm

OK, so just to be clear you haven't actually installed Zorin to your hard drive - I suspect because it is configured to be persistent the intention is to just run it from the USB rather than being able to install from USB - I suspect your BIOS may have issues about booting from USB? And as I said earlier, without a screenshot from within Windows using System Properties | Disk Management we can't progress on advice re install. ;) :D

nrthman17

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:30:43 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, so just to be clear you haven't actually installed Zorin to your hard drive - I suspect because it is configured to be persistent the intention is to just run it from the USB rather than being able to install from USB - I suspect your BIOS may have issues about booting from USB? And as I said earlier, without a screenshot from within Windows using System Properties | Disk Management we can't progress on advice re install. ;) :D

I was hoping to install the program from the USB. I bought the persistent in case for some reason I needed to re download it again. When I try the F12 key and select Onboard or USB CD-Rom Drive it just leads to Selected boot device is not available try F1 to retry or F2 for set up.

If I try to boot it from Boot to System Utility Partition I get what looks like a Dell product screen with the service tag of my computer and serial number I believe. It tells me to strike any key to continue there is a bit of a pause black screen then it goes to booting up windows XP as usual.

Is they any hope for me or am I force to get a new computer?

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:13:25 pm

Like I said, we need to get a 'snapshot' of your partitioning which you could do by grabbing a few screenshots of your 'Disk Management' - need to assess how many of your partitions are designated as 'Primary'! As for booting from USB which a BIOS won't allow:

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html ;) :D

nrthman17

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:14:05 am

Hey Swarfendor437,

I tried to download the plop but XP can't find the file for it. I tried another plop program to download directly to the computer, but its said it was only for Windows Vista and up. That it didn't work in XP. If you have any thoughts I am open for suggestions. I just ordered a new desktop so I am looking forward to that. I am going to keep my old one and use it for some linux based systems to experiment with. That's if I can ever get on installed on it. :)

Thank you very much for your time!

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:56:00 am

Strange, plop does (or did) run from Floppy Disk and only needed 'Dos'! I think you should try to download the iso's if possible but appreciate that you may have limitations on bandwidth/downloads - I don't realise how fortunate I am! :)