This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

PCI: 104C:9066 Texas Instruments ACX 111

taperwil

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:36:08 pm

Hi Complete Newbie here;
have Zorin 9, on pc desktop that I built for my brother. Something just for simple home use. Install a PCI Network Card. The OS recognized the card, has green light on back. Was able to search around to see how to find out what the driver was. Have found several users have placed it on Linux Distros but have not found anything for Zorin. I have been trying to figure this out for days. Am tired. SOS :( Do not see and icons that indicate wireless card is setup.
Followed some posts and collected the following info:

0a:06.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface
Subsystem: Abocom Systems Inc Device ab90
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 3
Memory at fd1fc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Memory at fd1c0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

I am assuming this is a ping to confirm that the card is working:

$ wget -N -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireles ... eless-info && \
> chmod +x wireless-info && \
> ./wireless-info
--2016-01-26 16:16:28-- https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireles ... eless-info
Resolving github.com (github.com)... 192.30.252.130
Connecting to github.com (github.com)|192.30.252.130|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ubunt ... eless-info [following]
--2016-01-26 16:16:29-- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ubunt ... eless-info
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... 199.27.76.133
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|199.27.76.133|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 15868 (15K) [text/plain]
Saving to: ‘wireless-info’

100%[======================================>] 15,868 --.-K/s in 0s

Last-modified header missing -- time-stamps turned off.
2016-01-26 16:16:29 (134 MB/s) - ‘wireless-info’ saved [15868/15868]

No idea what to do from here.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:57:43 pm

OK, the card is installed - do you see the network indicator showing network connection in the indicator-3 applet? That is the white piece of the panel to the far right:

download/file.php?id=4456&mode=view

It should show up as progressively increasing bars from left to right as per above screenshot of my then Zorin desktop.

If you had a network card with ethernet cable to internet then it would be two wires connected in the middle that looks like a 'forward slash'

taperwil

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:40:57 pm

Hi, thanks for responding, at the very bottom I see network card with ethernet cable to internet. My Ethernet is connected and working. I'm sorry, I am trying to get the wifi to work. the card info I posted is for my PCI wifi adapter. I have Realtek for Ethernet.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:46:30 pm

Apologies - please take a look at this post on Ubuntu forums - its old but hopefully just MIGHT help! Here's hoping!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost8191089

Just be mindful this is in respect of 64-bit - not sure whether you are running 32-bit or 64-bit Zorin! ;) :D

taperwil

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:44:05 pm

I truly appreciate your help, unfortunately, I took a look at the fixes for this and ripped out the card. I have a Dlink usb adapter that I am looking to try. Dlink DWA-130C. I found the driver and installed ndiswrapper. Pulled up ndiswrapper, attached the driver. In Wireless Network Drivers Window under Currently Installed Windows Drivers: dnet130c1 Hardware present: Yes. But no light on the Dlink adapter. Went to Configure Newtwork: SSIS: I am assuming it is asking for the name of the network and not a number, Mode: Infrastructure and not Ad hoc (which did not turn on when I first tried it), no idea what the BSSID is or where to find it. I looked it up and still was help. the Device MAC was on my Asus Router web page (Not BSSID unless there is another name for it), it is not cloned and left MTU at auto. Security (wifi) is WPA &WPA2Personal and I put in the correct password. IPv4 is Automatic (DHCP) and IPv6 is Auto also. I rebooted and still no wifi icon. Any suggestions

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:05:53 pm

BSSID is where you enter the MAC address (hexadecimal code) of your router - it is usually underneath or on a sticker.
The device label is the MAC address of your D-Link to 'bind' to the BSSID.

Depending where you live you should change the 'automatic' setting to your countries setting - automatic = 1500 - here in the UK we are limited to 1432. ;) :D

You need to ensure that you check mark 'save' and also 'available to all users' is checked. ;) :D

taperwil

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:53:07 pm

I did that, and nothing. I have been looking for days and all Zorin fixes are connected to Ubuntu which looks to use totally different pc language than Zorin. I find out I have to install all types of kernels etc then spend a life time sitting in front of a terminal installing software to write script. Is Zorin 10 more open to older hardware than 9. Prior to installing Linux, I had win XP on the same pc and both wifi devices worked without any issues. I simply connected the Dlink usb to Win 10 and the light came on immediately. How can these Linux OS even compare to Windows and they dont communicate with the simplest of devices, once you can boot up to the desktop, connecting to the internet is the first thing a customer is looking for. If that does not work, than the entire thing is a waste of time. The average customer is not a computer geek and could care less about doing any of this. They want a user friendly pc one in which they dont have to call someone every 10 mins, to get their devices operational. The os may look nice ect. but if I have to spend 2 weeks sitting in from of the pc trying to figure out how to get it to work, it is now more of a problem than its worth.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:39:37 pm

taperwil wrote:I did that, and nothing. I have been looking for days and all Zorin fixes are connected to Ubuntu which looks to use totally different pc language than Zorin. I find out I have to install all types of kernels etc then spend a life time sitting in front of a terminal installing software to write script. Is Zorin 10 more open to older hardware than 9. Prior to installing Linux, I had win XP on the same pc and both wifi devices worked without any issues. I simply connected the Dlink usb to Win 10 and the light came on immediately. How can these Linux OS even compare to Windows and they dont communicate with the simplest of devices, once you can boot up to the desktop, connecting to the internet is the first thing a customer is looking for. If that does not work, than the entire thing is a waste of time. The average customer is not a computer geek and could care less about doing any of this. They want a user friendly pc one in which they dont have to call someone every 10 mins, to get their devices operational. The os may look nice ect. but if I have to spend 2 weeks sitting in from of the pc trying to figure out how to get it to work, it is now more of a problem than its worth.

Then you should be lobbying the people who make the hardware to allow opensource drivers - that is the problem, not GNU/Linux - did you know that it took a European teenager to code to get DVD's running in GNU/Linux? He was put under house arrest - all he was doing was making proprietary hardware work natively in GNU/Linux - doesnt that tell you something? ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:01:21 pm

I keep forgetting this - I suspect you don't have the latest intel processors (i3 etc) in your rig which could be the issue - it doesn't affect me because all the rigs I built have AMD processors so pae kernels on which Zorin 9 is based don't create an issue for me - you might be better trying LXLE 32-bit instead - I don't think it is p.a.e. enabled. ;) :D

taperwil

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:55:13 am

Dont have intel amd phenom 6. I was able to see the Driver in Wireless Network Drivers. It accepted the rlt8192su in .inf its dnet130c1 but when I click Configure Network another box opens and I choose Wifi, the entire box disappears. I think, the install my be filled with bugs/corrupted. Some of my usb devices dont work either I am going to try zoirn 10 to see is they fixed any additional bugs

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:50:23 am

Thanks for the update - keep us posted! :D