This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cairo-Dock unable to Autostart with Bootup

7vincent7black7

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:37:59 pm

I'm still at the cairo-dock stage wehre I boot up the dock using the Terminal and "sudo cairo-dock", which has the handy feature of letting me see what is happening in the background.

Well, when I bring up Cairo-Dock's context menu, and click the option to have it start automatically, the following code appears in teh Terminal I keep minimized, indicating that Cairo-Dock is incapable of writing settings to an autostart file for some reason:

warning : (/build/buildd/cairo-dock-3.4.1/src/gldit/cairo-dock-file-manager.c:cairo_dock_copy_file:528)
couldn't write to file '/home/steven/.config/autostart' (Bad file descriptor)
_popup_menu: assertion 'pParams != NULL' failed
^C('new owner:', dbus.String(u''))
-> no more connection to cairo-dock

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:08:21 pm

Hi, After installing Cairo-Dock DE, don't run it from the Zorin DE. When you boot to the login screen you should see the Z logo to the top right of the login box - can't remember if it is left-click or right-click but you should then see 2 Cairo-Dock entries above Zorin (default) - choose the top one then login. ;) :D

7vincent7black7

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:24:08 pm

Yep, this is what I was missing. With cairo-dock launching automatically, i'm not getting a view of the terminal processing running in the background of the display manager, so I don't know if there might still be errors that are cropping up from Cairo-Dock running, but it appears to be working stabily from the client-side of things. :)

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:43:41 pm

OK, you shouldn't have an issue - you only have to run Cairo-Dock in the terminal if you are not in the Cairo-Dock DE. ;) :D