This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 9 UliDesktop freezing or re-starting at various times

spnoe

Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:44:44 pm

Desktop freezing or re-starting at various times. This may be when the desktop first appears or it could be when using an app or webpage. I am using Zorin 9 Ultimate. I also noticed this in Mint's 17. Prior to this I have had no problems in recent years with Linux. I am running Ubuntu 15.10 also, without any problems. To me, it appears to be a possible problem with the graphics but I am not an expert. I have an intel core 7 CPU 920, 11.9 GBt Memory, Gallium 0.4 on NVQ92
OS 64-bit.
Has anyone else been experiencing these problems and are there any solutions. This is the first time I have used Zorin and apart from this problem, I am impressed with the Distro.
Any help appreciated, Steve

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:58:19 pm

Have you run 'system monitor' to see if any applications are using lots of resources? Any applications maxing out the CPU/Memory? ;) :D

06.png

spnoe

Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:06:14 pm

Sorry I have not replied sooner but I have been unwell. I have tried System Monitor and I can not see any programme consuming an extreme amount of resources. While I was looking at the CPU usage I decided to go back to processes, clicked the tag and noticed a sudden peak in the CPU use and then it froze. I wanted to try and print or copy the results of System Monitor but can not see a way of doing this, as I would have posted them here to get some more advice.
Thank you Swarfendor437 for you suggest and help, much appreciated.
Steve

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:04:29 am

Hi Steve, sorry to learn you have not been well - hope you stay the right side of healthy! ;) :D