This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] startup login issue

dannytoro1

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:40:33 am

Greetings! I've been a happy Zorin 9 32bit user for over a year now. But today I had a problem I've never experienced before. When I login my password after start up, the OS seems to accept the password; but after seeming to begin moving to the desktop screen, it reverts right back to password mode. But never gives a message of a wrong password.

Some background, we just migrated to DISH network internet; but Zorin ran flawlessly the day before. And today, it does the above. Any ideas? Is there any way to get around the password routine? I've had to revert to an old hard drive with ubuntu 12.04LTS today. And it seems to be running just fine.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:22:36 am

I am wondering if it is after a kernel update? try choosing advanced boot options - second menu item, and choose earlier kernel to boot from. Keep us posted! ;) :D

dannytoro1

Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:02:49 am

Thanks! I will give that a try. And yes, I did run updates the day before the problem. I will let you know if that works.

dannytoro1

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:43:07 am

Solved! I tried the earlier kernel but it did not resolve it. Same condition. So I went back into the advanced screen and updated broken packages, then cleaned it, then update packages again. And that worked. I ran the new update as soon as it was clear the bugs were gone. And it's doing great. Well except for Wifi, but I have an old non-linux oriented box that's about to be replaced. Any recommendations on a Zorin compatible Wifi router that still has rj-45 jacks too?

As it turns out, the Mrs said while I was outside the last update came up "Operation Failed"; and she simply shut it down and forgot to tell me about it.....lol

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:06:30 pm

It's expensive but I have an Asus Router (now defunct as when I try and check for updates the Asus site does not have it listed anymore!) - it has 4 RJ11 and an RJ45 for connection to filter, and two usb ports. Routers don't necessarily have to be GNU/Linux friendly - its the Wireless PCI Cards and USB wireless dongles that need to be GNU/Linux friendly - once you can login to the address of a router you should be good to go. If you are still talking dial-up then you would nee PPPoE package which is normally in OS's such as LXLE but not in Zorin - something they could look at doing!

Glad you are sorted otherwise so will mark as [RESOLVED]. :D