This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

re: afatech tv tuner (Sveon STV26) and zorin os 11 trouble

siologen

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:57:54 am

Followed the ubuntu guide as Zorin is based on ubuntu, but cannot get this card working.

lsusb in terminal recognizes it, but no go in kaffeine.

Can anyone recommend a good tv tuner card software for zorin os 11, or has anyone got a usb tv tuner with a realtek chip inside working?

cheers,
silo

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:02:04 pm

Hi Please take a look here:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Afatech_AF9015

and here for different applications - something I didn't know, VLC can be used!:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/2936/wha ... tuner-card

;) :D

Keep us posted!

siologen

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:34:33 am

Cheers, but unfortunately I just cannot get it to work in either ubuntu or zorin.

So it's back to windows for me. Thanks for the help though!

siologen

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:49:23 pm

A quick update....I am now thoroughly convinced this usb tuner will only work with windows, so will have to try that. lsusb and even dmesg seem to recognize it, no problem, but kaffeine or me tv just cannot pick it up.

All out of ideas :x :oops: :roll:

Has anyone successfully got a usb tv tuner with a realtek chip working in Zorin, not ubuntu, or is Zorin os 11 the rub as to why it is not working here?

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:19:31 pm

Zorin 11 is based on Ubuntu 15.10 - support ends, as ubuntu, in July this year. ;) :D

siologen

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:40:18 pm

True, but unfortunately the ubuntu based guide, nor wolfmans, work in Zorin.

so what is the missing key to open it?

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:21:41 pm

The missing key is the manufacturer not providing GNU/Linux drivers - period! :(

siologen

Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:29:37 am

Not so clear cut or simple as you are making out I am afraid, this guide is in french, but it works in Ubuntu.

https://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/af9015

Again, the whole story is not being revealed. This is what forces some people to stick with windows, not because they don't like open source or out of sheer bloody mindedness, but because their devices damn well work.

Or Zorin is setup in some way different from Ubuntu. At a loss, but will revert to Ubuntu and start from scratch.

Cheers again. :twisted: :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:04:46 pm

Hi Zorin is a fork and it tries to make a stable distribution that fits most users - as do other distros - they don't have the number of devs that Ubuntu has for instance - only 2 others apart from Brothers Zorin!
Most advice with issues I usually point to answers I have found on ubuntuforums anyways! :P :lol: ;) :D

siologen

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:35:05 am

Thanks for the reply Swarf.

I will give Zorin OS credit where it is due, onboard wifi works out of the tin, so +1 for that. In ubby 15.10 it needs a apt-get update and upgrade and reboot before it will work.

I suppose I will have to find a linux compatible sdr and go from there, annoying, but surely that should work?

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:33:24 am

Apologies to Wolfman - does his guide help here?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1661

siologen

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:10:02 pm

Thanks again to you (and Wolfman) for posting that link, but unfortunately it is of no use for my Sveon STV 26. I'm beginning to think it is either defective (but why then does it work on windows :lol: ) or linux just will not play ball with it. Not convinced it will work on ubby either, but thinking there is more chance it will work on ubby, than Zorin. Again, just one of those quirks.