This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installation failure

jimigreyghost

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:23:11 pm

Installing your Zorin distro on my ASUS/Windows 7 Pro machine was a real disaster from the beginning. Somewhere along the way everything seemed to go wrong
First, it took over the whole computer, blocking access to the BIOS and booting only through a Zorin menu. All the normal keystrokes used to access the BIOS and the Windows recovery partition no longer work.
Second, Zorin puts access to ALL the MS Window 7 partitions for the computer in the boot menu. Since this computer has more than one user, the chance of someone booting into the wrong partition is greatly increased. I want that access removed and the original accesses restored.
Third, I can no longer boot from the CD/DVD drive when I turn the computer on. It goes directly to the Zorin boot window no matter what disc I place in the drive. It even ignores the Zorin install disc! Other OS's will recognize the OS disc so you can reinstall the OS, if necessary.
Fourth, when Zorin was loaded, somehow the Windows password was corrupted. When I used my password recovery thumb drive for Windows, an error was experienced, requiring Windows recovery from the recovery partition. This has never happened in the 2 1/2 years I've used it.
Fifth, when the Windows recovery was performed, it soon become apparent that Zorin had corrupted it too: the recovery program will recover only part way, not completing the full recovery cycle.
Sixth, even Zorin has now refused my password, telling me my password is incorrect.
I have another machine that is dual booted with Windows and Ubuntu with absolutely none of the problems I have experienced with your Zorin installation disc.
At this point, I am neither happy nor impressed with the Zorin distro I received.
Questions:
1. How do I reset the Zorin password?
2. How do I get rid of the Zorin boot window and create a dual boot window similar to the Ubuntu/Windows setup? I want the original BIOS accessible and a traditional dual boot menu like other Linux distros use, not this abortion that now possesses my computer.
3. How do I overcome Zorin's tendency to ignore the CD/DVD drive upon start? I cannot reinstall the Zorin distro because the installed distro ignores the CD/DVD drive and will not let me reinstall like other Linux distros and most Window OS's do (remember the program won't let me in because it no longer recognizes my password.) I also have Linux partition and recovery discs I want to use from the initial startup.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:31:32 am

OK, first off please give us the details of your Asus machine - model number, motherboard and bios information would also be useful if available. Can you select the Windows partition at boot? If it lets you boot into Windows the first thing you need to do is to create a 'System Repair Disc'. ;)

jimigreyghost

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:29:22 pm

My machine data:
ASUS Manufacturer Part #P53E-XH31
Operating Systems: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit & Zorin 10
Processor Intel Core i3 2310M / 2.1 GHz
The data sheet I was given with the computer is 3 pages long and does not have the motherboard model number nor any BIOS information!!
I could initially access the Windows OS at boot, but the password to both OS's became corrupted, and then neither recover disc nor recovery thumb drive worked.
Now, all I have is a black screen with the following on it:
<error: no such partition>
<entering rescue mode...>
<grub rescue>(flashing cursor)>
When I input a <run> or <sudu> command the screen tells me <Unknown command> in both cases.
The computer will not boot from the CD/DVD drive, either.
I cannot access either OS now, so I cannot use the utilities to access the computer hardware information.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:40:52 pm

You will need to get to your BIOS to change boot order:

http://www.asus.com/support/Search-Resu ... yword=bios

Can you get this far? Be sure to follow the instructions in the link above. Keep us posted.

jimigreyghost

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:25:17 pm

Thanks, that was the first time since the Zorin installation that I was able to access the BIOS. BIOS version is American Megatrends version 2111.I13K53.011.
I was stating the machine then pressing the f2 key, not holding down the f2 and then turning on the computer while holding the key. I think this is why I failed to access BIOS before.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:46:31 pm

OK, now you can do that you should look for something like 'boot' or 'boot order' once in the BIOS so you can boot to DVD (I know BIOS still have CD on some rigs!) ;) :D

Also check the post on here that begins with ESC:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... nu.706066/