This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Problem Restoring

sue

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:53:53 am

I had Zorin V10 on my pc and decided as V9 was more secure I would install V9.

I backed up V10 by Showing hidden files in my home folder and copying it to an external HDD

So now I have installed V9 only on my pc and when I click to restore from System Settings Backup pointed it to the Ex HDD it tells me there is No backups to restore I copied the folder to my desktop and tried again the same result No backups to restore.
Attached a SC of the set up on my hdd if something is wrong there I can reinstall

sue

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:49:36 pm

Some more info as I had been doing a backup with Zorin backup to my home folder I thought I would try to restore that backup folder and it worked well apart from these
/home/sue/.wine/dosdevices/c:
/home/sue/.wine/dosdevices/d::
/home/sue/.wine/dosdevices/e::
/home/sue/.wine/dosdevices/f::
/home/sue/.wine/dosdevices/g::
/home/sue/.wine/dosdevices/h::
/home/sue/.wine/dosdevices/i:
/home/sue/.wine/dosdevices/i::
/home/sue/.wine/dosdevices/z:
/home/sue/.wine/drive_c/users/sue/Desktop
/home/sue/.wine/drive_c/users/sue/My Documents
/home/sue/.wine/drive_c/users/sue/My Music
/home/sue/.wine/drive_c/users/sue/My Pictures
/home/sue/.wine/drive_c/users/sue/My Videos

Paint Shop Pro and Crossover are not there either or should I have installed crossover before doing the restore

Since I did that backup the start menu has disappeared I did a restart hoping it would come back and got a pop up SS attached also I copied the info in the pop up

IndexError in Zorin Menu: list index out of range

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/awn/extras/awnlib.py", line 1590, in init_start
applet_class(applet)
File "/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/applets/ZorinMenu/ZorinMenu.py", line 58, in __init__
self.hwg = Main_Menu(self.HideMenu)
File "/usr/lib/zorinmenu/Menu_Main.py", line 94, in __init__
self.setup()
File "/usr/lib/zorinmenu/Menu_Main.py", line 354, in setup
self.PGL.ProgramListPopulate(self.menuframe, self.hide_method)
File "/usr/lib/zorinmenu/Menu_Widgets.py", line 1877, in ProgramListPopulate
self.PopulateButtons()
File "/usr/lib/zorinmenu/Menu_Widgets.py", line 2070, in PopulateButtons
typ = self.XDG.L_Types[i]
IndexError: list index out of range

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:37:05 pm

Hi sue, when you make a backup of your '/home' folder you need to press 'Ctrl+ H' to show hidden files. Backing up the /home folder will not necessarily create a system restore as such. My preferred method is just to back up my
/home folder. If you want to replicate your partition of 10 the best thing to use is Clonezilla or if only one partition with everything on it, redobackup. Paid for solutions include Acronis but I have not tried to check if my old Ultimate Edition 2.9 will restore using that. Sorry I can't help any further - if you have not written anything to the new setup I believe there is a way of restoring using Test Disk to restore your deleted partitions but no guarantees I'm afraid. Your Wine programs, C:\ drive etc get stored in the hidden folder of '.wine' in your '/home' folder. :(

sue

Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:45:39 pm

Hi Swarfendor I did show hidden files when I made a copy of the home folder on the EX HDD

Also I had backup to do the default type back up of my home folder which was on the home folder that I made a copy of.

I will probably do a reinstall and see where I go from there strange how the start button has disappeared as well :-(

sue

Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:52:56 pm

Hi again

Well I reinstalled again and I am now up and running fine I think :)

I used the restore backup folder from system settings backup that I had copied to my EX HDD before deleting V10 so all my folders were back.

Installed Crossover put my registration details in and all the bottles were there PSP worked great as did the plugins.

There was a big update for V9 did that.

So touch wood all seems ok now :D

But I am sure I will be back with some more questions soon :roll:

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:51:03 pm

OK, will mark this thread as [SOLVED]. Please start a new thread for other issues. ;) :D