This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

dual boot windows 10 uefi

oldmarathonrunner

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:04:45 pm

Asus x453m 4g mem. 500ghdd. uefi type bios.

I have zorin 9.1 core installed on 30gig partition with 2gig swap. grub2 I put on windows partition. (Free space from shrinking C)
First boot fine zorin,advanced zorin,windows ten and set up choices. First time zorin booted fine. Next time nothing.
I have reinstalled zorin I did the mid5sum check and the iso was fine. Same again.
I have disabled both fast and secure boot. In the boot order list Windows bootloader is always there and if I put it no 1 I can boot into windows.
I had trouble with the usb too and tried it in my old notebook and it was fine.
If I delete the zorin option from boot order list I will be left with the windows system working perfectly. Does that mean that grub is placed on a clone of windows bootloader as windows bootloader option is always there without grub? If I put grub in the Linux partition how do I get windows bootloader to recognise it as it does not even recognise that zorin is there. I expect you can tell by the way I am talking that I am not at all knowledgable. I was in touch here a while ago and you were all very helpful but could not remember my user name so had to re register. This is all done in uefi mode. There is an option to enable cms which I tried to no effect.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:31:08 pm

Hi, you need neosmart EasyBCD - download from Softpedia here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS- ... yBCD.shtml

Watch the Matthew Moore Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

This is what I did before I screwed up my Windows 7 drive with Windows 10 using backup file on freespace of Windows 7 drive!

1. Allow windows to shrink C partition - but don't forget to run chkdsk and defrag first.

2. Create an 'Extended Partition' on the free space.

3. Create a 512 Mb '/boot' partition formatted to 'ext4' - this is where you will put GRUB.

4. Create a system ('/') partition for Zorin of 30 Gb =30 x 1024 = 30720 Mib formatted to 'ext4'

5. At the end of extended partiton create 4 Gb 'swap area'

6. Everything between '/' and 'swap area' make '/home' and format to 'ext4'

;) :D

oldmarathonrunner

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:31:36 pm

start.jpg
I already tried easy bcd having watched Mathew's video. It told me that most of the features would not work in efi installations which was correct the options I needed were blanked out. I have reinstalled zorin in the set up you described and have again first time it booted from usb and from grub menu but never again. From memory grub is in sda7 and zorin root sda8. I have a thing called grub2win which I would be more than delighted if you could help me configure.
Enclosed is the bit I do not really understand being a complete beginner. Hope the image is there for you if not please tell me how to include it.
Ihanks for your help so far.

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:12:45 pm

I don't know enough about that software - one other thing to disable - did you uncheck the 'advanced' power options that are hidden that puts the hard drive to sleep when you shut down Windows 8.1/10? ;) :D

oldmarathonrunner

Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:46:37 am

Yes that is disabled.
I will have to give up for the time being. I have grub2win there as the first boot option and it gives me the choice of windows boot loader or other but unfortunately I cannot configure it to recognise zorin boot, grub 2 on sda7.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:51:05 pm

I'm wondering if that software supports Grub 2 - Like I said, it is best placing GRUB (2) in a '/boot' partition. ;) :D

oldmarathonrunner

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:21:32 am

It is specifically designed for dual booting Grub 2 with windows hence the name and after your first helpful comments I repartioned and reinstalled with Grub in it's own boot partition,zotin,then home and swap. I just can not direct it to the new Grub2 biit partition.

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:14:23 pm

No such issues with EasyBCD - you just have to tell it that it is GRUB2 ;) :D

oldmarathonrunner

Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:40:37 am

Easy BCD will not work with efi,I have tried it after watching Mathew Moore. Incidentally he only had a root and swap partition

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:47:00 pm

Sorry, my bad - forgot I don't have an EFI enabled Mobo - do the links in this article help?:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/516526/ ... uefi-issue

oldmarathonrunner

Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:30:18 pm

Unfortunately I am no further forward. Having read links. When I have time I will read some more and maybe find the solution. Sorry for delayed reply biut visitors have cramoed my style for a few days.

oldmarathonrunner

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:47:14 am

I have been fiddling around with boot repair and got the report.
=> No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
=> Syslinux MBR (4.04 and higher) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb
To an outsider trying to familliarise with linux 2 things confuse me. When installing zorin9.1 core the installer did not recognise any other OS on the computer and then when asked to put Grub2 on sda it puts it on sdb.
Should it be on sda? When I did this on XP that is where it went. If it should can you tell me how to put it there? URL of boot repair report is http://paste.org/ODtChxcX. I still have to reload the usb in pendrive everytime I want to boot from it. Any help would be appreciated. I learn as I go along but do not really understand what is going on.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:50:54 am

Windows 10 has to have EFI to boot, Zorin, as it stands needs 'legacy' mode enabled in the BIOS. To prevent consternation of people who decide they want to go back to windows I recommend the method I used based on Matthew Moore's video. Please look at the link in 'blfriis' post here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8671&p=42042&hilit=+uefi#p42042

Here is another link that may prove useful too!:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/