This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Dual Boot fail

WhiteWolf411

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:39:51 pm

I always have had a hit/miss with Linux OS, I really want to keep trying Linux but I just don't know after this.

I have tried dual booting last week first time i used the installed to install along side windows, it failed, i deleted the partition and the the next day i tried again.
Next day, I made a partition on a different Drive, after installing it I rebooted the system and it tried loading window10 and it locked my windows OS drive and then soon after my OS HD had failed and lost all my stuff, PC didn't post for 3 Days.

anyone have any idea what happened? / what I did wrong?
I even followed Posts on " this " forum,
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7981 / viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

Operating System: was w10 Pro 64-Bit
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)
Processor: i5-2500
Memory: 12.00 GB @ 1600-1866
Display: ASUS 1080p + 1440x900
GPU: MSI R9 270x HAWK / ATI 5770 (850w power supply is down, so have to use this c***)
OS Drive: WD 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB- works but really slow

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:04:51 pm

I would use the 'something else' method which I am not sure I made clear in my instructions. The only modification I would make in respect of Windows 10 is:

1. After shrinking C:\, create an 'Extended Partition' immediately after it - inside of that:

a. a 512 Mb '/boot/ partition formatted to 'ext4' - this is where you put GRUB.

b. a 30 Gb (30720 Mib) '/' root (system) partition for Zorin formatted to 'ext4'

c. Create a 4 Gb swap area (4096 Mib) at end of extended partition

d. everthing in front of swap, '/home' formatted to 'ext4'

2. Boot into windows install Easy BCD and follow my video instructions on what to do that on my vimeo channel on dual booting with Windows 7 - same process. ;) :D

WhiteWolf411

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:46:38 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I would use the 'something else' method which I am not sure I made clear in my instructions. The only modification I would make in respect of Windows 10 is:

1. After shrinking C:\, create an 'Extended Partition' immediately after it - inside of that:

a. a 512 Mb '/boot/ partition formatted to 'ext4' - this is where you put GRUB.

b. a 30 Gb (30720 Mib) '/' root (system) partition for Zorin formatted to 'ext4'

c. Create a 4 Gb swap area (4096 Mib) at end of extended partition

d. everthing in front of swap, '/home' formatted to 'ext4'

2. Boot into windows install Easy BCD and follow my video instructions on what to do that on my vimeo channel on dual booting with Windows 7 - same process. ;) :D

So I installed it right the first time, i over looked the Easy BCD part,

but no clue on what happened the second try,
re-trying the dual boot but I think i need a new hard drive, it takes 3 to 5 minutes to load windows.

Edit

I have susesfully dual booting windows 7 with Zornin,
Zorin and Windows takes a little time to load but Zornin is faster, going to do this again when I get new hardware, I see were I meet up with the last install that locked windows Is but still have not found out why it whipped the Harddrive and meat up my motherboard so it wouldn't post for 3 days.

Edit 2
Zorin loads way faster then Windows,

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:06:40 pm

OK - let us know how you get on with the new harddrive - will mark this thread as [SOLVED] ;) :D