This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 11 boot problems

Gary

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:35:43 pm

I installed the Core version of Zorin OS 11 on my PC which by the way has an SSD. I have two problems. When I turn on my PC it gives me many boot options. I eliminated Windows, so I only use Zorin but it suggests me to choose from booting Zorin, Memory tests, Windows Loader and other options, like settings. I just ant Zorin to boot without hesitating and waiting to long. How an I do that?

My second question is that why does it boot so slowly? I have a netbook with Zorin Os 10 installed, and this netbook boots up much faster, however, it has weaker CPU and only an 5400 HDD and less RAM. How is that possible? Did something went bad during my installation of Zorin 11? The boot time takes more than a minute on SSD!! That's not normal.

Cold you help me on these?

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:31:41 pm

Hi, apologies but I have never owned an SSD (apart from thumb drives that use the same technology). As far as I know you are not supposed to format SSD's to ext4 file system but to 'ext2' file system as a journaling system shortens the life of SSD's - that is why on many SSD netbooks you will have found Windows XP in FAT32 instead of NTFS. You may also need to 'trim' your drive.

Just found this which is the most recent information I could find:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd

[PS Zorin 10 is no longer supported so you might be better putting Zorin 9 on your other rig until Zorin 12 comes out - then next LTS release. ;) :D ]