This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Slightly disallusioned!!

d95gas

Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:57:20 am

Having been a stalwart of Windows OS, I took the decision it was time to look at Linux and move our home computers over to Linux given that they only use about 10% of the Windows OS capability. Most of what everyone in the home does is through the browser.

Spent a significant amount of time looking at various distro's and eventually settled on Zorin Ultimate with the premium support.

So all paid for, installed the distro on one of our Lenovo T430 i7 laptops and all went well. Couldnt believe how smooth the install went, and how fast the boot up and use was. So good decision made.

However, my joy did not last too long, as after having installed Google Chrome and and a couple of other bits of software, I found that I had lost all the icons from the right of the taskbard (AWN), no clock, no power options, no network options, etc.

Much reading followed, and I could not get a definative answer on what the issue was and how to resolve it, I think I worked out it was an issue with the applet "Indicator 3".

So thought no problem, I have premium support, I will drop them a line.

2 days go by and no response

Certainly on Windows where I have premium support on various apps, I usually get an answer certainly within the day. This makes me now wonder whether it was such a good decision to move.

In the absence of the support, I beleive I paid for... Can anyone advise how to get the toolbar back, and what the issue is?

Kind Regards

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:17:22 pm

OK, in respect of Chrome, looks like they will no longer support GNU/Linux:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11569#p51609

As for your indicator-3 applet, this is an applet that was designed for a project that 'died' and AWN has been taken up by someone else. You can modify the AWN Panel as I have done:

00.jpg

only downside is no indication if connected to network!

see also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983

Your alternatives are to add Cinammon DE (the beauty of Cinammon is that both Windows keys will launch the Menu!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9795&start=10#p48998

OR

Cairo-Dock DE - and you get two different network indicators for that if you fancy them!

download/file.php?id=3356&mode=view

https://vimeo.com/85050945

To bind the Windows key I removed 'ZorinMenu' applet and installed GnoMenu:

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/03/how-to- ... unity.html

;) :D

If none of the above float your boat, give Makulu a try! ;) :D

Jesse

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:20:13 pm

d95gas wrote:In the absence of the support, I beleive I paid for... Can anyone advise how to get the toolbar back...?

This happened to me and if I remember correctly, I just reloaded the program from the disk. Once your partitions are defined, you can format and overwrite only the /root partition without disturbing the /home files where all your data lives. I got my AWN back.