This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Reinstalled, Now have Black Grub Console

aberts10

Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:51:19 pm

I got a message that I was running low on space on the 50 GB partition I setup for Zorin... When I deleted it, created a 500GB partition, and reinstalled Zorin, After rebooting it brought me to a Black Grub Console...

I've tried using the Bootrec /fixmbr commands in windows but they simply said they carried out successfully and didn't work...

How do I fix this? I'm willing to delete the partitions for Zorin and Grub, but I'd prefer to keep my Windows partition because it contains all my files

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:28:19 pm

Hi, Before messing with Partitions, always advisable to backup your data for that 'just in case ...' moment! Once you start resizing partitions you affect the partition table and this could be why you are having issues. When you run the 'bootrec.exe /fixmbr' command, that should have removed GRUB from your system - unless you have a faulty mbr - it only sits in 512 Kb of hard drive space at the very beginning of the drive. If your Data is still there I would boot Zorin in to live mode, mount your Windows partition, backup your data and start afresh.

When installing Zorin alongside Windows 7 I would always go with the 'something else' method - and to protect the mbr I would dual-boot with Wndows 7 this way:

https://vimeo.com/110085401

aberts10

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:26:24 pm

Capture.JPG
Partitions
Thanks for replying... I'm using windows 10... i'd think that theres a difference because it uses UEFI? Also does zorin support UEFI? As in can I load zorin using UEFI instead of the Zorin/Grub Loader?
And i'm using a Dell Desktop (XPS 8700)... Since it appears ill have to reinstall windows, and delete all the partitions on my computer... When I do this, will the computer still remember my product key? (Just curious) because dell has some way of storing the key so if you reinstall it automatically enters it?

Now as for Grub... I don't see a 512 KB partition? I attached a picture. (I added text to show the two partitions i know... the others I'm unsure of)

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:27:39 pm

Hi, Windows 10 only uses UEFI if the motherboard supports it in the BIOS. I understood from your original post that you could not boot into windows after attempting that bootrec.exe command? So can you still boot into Windows 10? (assuming you can due to the screenshot you submitted). Someone on here did create an EFI enabled Zorin iso but they are no longer around.

This is all I can find at the moment:

http://www.howtogeek.com/175641/how-to- ... cure-boot/

aberts10

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:33:54 pm

Yes, I am able to boot into Windows 10... but before that I get a black grub console... I just type Exit and enter the windows UEFI...

The problem is that after reinstalling Zorin, (by deleting and recreating partitions) grub is stuck at the black console (only allowing me to use commands or exit and go to UEFI... Cant use zorin because of this), instead of giving me the option to boot into Zorin...

Is there no other way to fix this without reinstalling everything?... Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

EDIT: I found something online I'm going to give a try http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd

aberts10

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:03:34 am

Ive solved it sort of.... I used Dual Boot Automatic repair from BCD tool... When I rebooted Grub wasn't there...

So now I'm going to reinstall Zorin after I wipe its partition... and See if it all works fine and dandy...

Now I still do want to get Zorin installed on UEFI, I know Ubuntu does this, so isn't there some way to tweak it so it can too?

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:51:05 pm

aberts10 wrote:Ive solved it sort of.... I used Dual Boot Automatic repair from BCD tool... When I rebooted Grub wasn't there...

So now I'm going to reinstall Zorin after I wipe its partition... and See if it all works fine and dandy...

Now I still do want to get Zorin installed on UEFI, I know Ubuntu does this, so isn't there some way to tweak it so it can too?

Someone did create one but the link is no longer on here unfortunately! :(

aberts10

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:23:54 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:
aberts10 wrote:Ive solved it sort of.... I used Dual Boot Automatic repair from BCD tool... When I rebooted Grub wasn't there...

Someone did create one but the link is no longer on here unfortunately! :(

I've been using one called qrefind... simple gui with lots of useful options just put it on a spare usb stick and it can save your life.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:41:26 am

A link would be useful! Sounds like a modified project of rEFInd - which was a rewrite of rEFIt aimed initially at the Mac user who wanted GNU/Linux on their rig! ;) :D