This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Goodbye Windows!! Hello Zorin

smccarthy945

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:39:48 am

Well, I decided to make an attempt again to move to Linux and away from Windows. This was my 4th attempt and each previous attempt failed because I couldn't get a major piece of my life to run on Linux. For example, I need Exchange Server native connectivity; IMAP and work arounds just don't work - I need to sync my calendars, etc. Finally, there are now plug ins for Thunderbird available that can sync with Exchange natively for your mail, contacts, calendar, etc. It works great - actually better than Outlook!

I was able to use Linux apps for everything else and surprisingly find everything is easier and works better in Linux now. Because of distros like Zorin, Linux has come a long way and now has the functionality you need to use it as a desktop. I use Libre Office which is great, GIMP for graphics, OpenVPN to connect to my office, etc. The apps are much better than years ago and Linux has everything you need to run it as your primary OS.

For the few Windows apps I need to run, I use www.Getmydesktop.com and run Windows in the cloud to access my Windows-based apps. I have been using Zorin on my desktop and laptop for 2 weeks now and have no plans of going back to Windows. I can't drive a Ferrari and go back to a Scion.

Microsoft better wake up because they are about to lose the market.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:56:05 pm

My only issue with 'getmydesktop' is it is cloud based - as long as I can have 'terra firma' OS/Apps I will stay that way - if everything ends up in the cloud I will end using IT Period! :o
You should take the time to look at Codeweavers.com and Cross-Over application. The issue is not with GNU/Linux but with proprietary owners of Hardware and Software that don't release drivers or GNU/Linux versions of their applications.

The Free Software movement is not merely about 'free' as in 'free beer' - it's about the Freedom to do with the software and hardware at your disposal and not to be dictated to by the originators of the hardware/OS limiting your 'freedom of choice':

http://mashable.com/2010/05/15/stallman ... e-freedom/