This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

installing the hardest way possable.. lol help please.

luckyvision

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:01:09 pm

I installed Zorin 10 on my dell laptop, and as a newbie to Linux, am very happy
I want to install Zorin on my tower. Its an older machine that I built around 2003 ish. I love this thing it has multiple drives and opticals, gaming quality video and audio, tons of USB ports, FireWire, fans, lights etc. I know, I know...

I have a few problems though:
--One, its old enough that it doesn't boot from USB. Not a bios option, although I have to double check for a bios update
--two, I am having trouble with my burner, so I'm not able to burn a CD/DVD till I can pick up a new (used) one (toys aren't in my budget at all right now)
--three I don't have internet at home either. I use my laptop at work so updating/installing that machine is no problem. I might go with a hotspot in the future, but can't afford it at the moment.

So if you've read this far, thank you! Here's my question:
I have zorin 10 bootable on USB, and Zorin 11. iso on another stick.
Is there a way to install from a USB without having to boot from it? Short of dragging my tower to work...

I appreciate any help, Thanks

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:06:25 pm

Hi, what you need (as well as an internet connection! - unless on cover of a GNU/Linux magazine) is PLOP Boot Manager:

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html

luckyvision

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:10:46 pm

I'll take a look. Thanks.
I do have the ability to d/l on my phone and transfer to my PC.

luckyvision

Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:27:13 am

Plop worked.like a charm
One problem is that the computer c-r-a-w-l-s...
I'm surprised I figured it would be so much faster than XP like my laptop is

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:10:20 pm

Well you didn't post the specs of the machine - you might be better running Zorin LIte? ;)

luckyvision

Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:39:38 pm

No, i didnt. I have to get the specs. Its been a long time since I've played with this machine. I have to find the terminal commands for that.
In the meantime I'm going to give puppy Linux a try. If it runs faster then I'll know its just the os

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:36:33 pm

Just open a terminal (in Zorin) and enter:

Code:
lspci

You may also want to turn off all effects in Compiz Config Settings manager. and check what applications are in the 'startup applications' section of the OS. ;)

;)

Other lightweight distros you may like to try are:

Slitaz, LXLE, Makulu xfce, Qelitu, SolydX, MacPup, Lubuntu 14.04. Not tried Vector Linux in a while. ;) :D