This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] selecting VLC as default player in Zorin 11

robvk

Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:53:55 pm

Hi Forum,

just swapped from ubuntu to zorin 11 ultimate to try something new.. :-)

first tried to find some intel on VLC in the forum but search found the word VLC to common... tried some variations, no luck. bummer...

next problem arrived after installing Zorin 11:

I am trying to set the default installed VLC as the default video player in system settings > details > default applications > VIDEO but looks it is not possibly to select VLC from the list?
there are only 2 options showing, Handbrake and Videos

this is/was however possibly in all releases of Ubuntu I used to work with.

I tried by removing the default video players, using Synaptic package manager to remove and reinstall VLC, used "sudo update-alternatives --all" to change on the prompt but no luck. VLC does not show up as an option.

Anyway, did a fresh install now and maybe somebody have an idea?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:03:22 pm

Go to:

1. Menu | System Tools | System Settings

2. Select 'Details' on bottom row.

3. In the left pane of the window that appears, select 'Default Applications'

4. Select the drop-down arrow next to 'Video;' and select VLC.

Job done! ;) :D

robvk

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:48:42 pm

Thanks for the quick answer but maybe if you would have read the topic carefully you would have seen that I already did this.
in fact the first thing i did.
the point is that vlc does not show up as a choice while it is installed and working perfect.

thanks,
rob

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:17:24 pm

Sorry, my bad! :oops:

Try removing the other packages listed if not needed and see if it works then! ;) :D

Also try opening those settings as 'root' by running 'gksudo nautilus' in a terminal. ;)

robvk

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:05:16 pm

NP... you're trying to help.... :-)

But hate to say.... I also removed the other packages as mentioned in the topic and that didn't help.

I also noted that when selecting a video file and want to choose open with, VLC does not show up as an option. then selecting other application and then even show all applications... VLC does not show up as a choice in the list...

Starting VLC and open file works though.
VLC is also available in the menu

I downloaded the Zorin 11 ultimate version... Did a CRC check an all is fine.

Did a reinstall with Ubuntu 15.04 and 15.10 and mint 17.3 just for the fun and to check and both are working as expected.

actually installed Zorin 11 now on 2 systems and both have the same issue out of the box... so start to feel we are looking at a bug in the build.

regards,
Rob

MBMz10

Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:36:51 am

Hi,

From the Desktop, right click on the Zorin Menu icon on the AWN Panel (task bar).
Select "edit", this should bring up a menu editor, and in the lower right hand side choose "restore system configuration" button. Close out of that.

Then go to the "System settings" in the Zorin menu, "Details" icon, "Default Applications" and VLC should now be present. Think that is what you are looking for.

I have done a video on this and also setting file preferences in Zorin 10/11???, I think it is a sticky in how too and tutorials.
Try this link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEPcmeoqTTQ

Seeing you are using the "ultimate" version you should be able to get support from the Zorin team, this is how I discovered the above ideas. They are quite helpful, as an Ultimate user this is one of the reasons that I choose to 'pay' the small price for such. Its a two way street they win and you win.

Hope this helps.

Bradley

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:32:13 pm

Hi, I think I will have to install Zorin 11 alongside Makulu and see what I can do on this matter - stay tuned! :D

robvk

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:19:02 pm

Hi Bradley,

YES.. Thanks! that did the job. Can select default to VLC now.

now the 1 million dollar question... what makes this happening on a fresh install....

Yes, have the Ultimate version.... why not, all installed in the box... saves me a lot of hassle... and supporting the project a little. everybody happy.. :-)

Again thanks,
Rob

MBMz10

Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:34:55 am

When I asked the Zorin Team about it they said it was to do with 'Upsteam' or something to that effect. So your guess is as good as mine what that means! But they gave me a solution to my problem.
I found it very frustrating that I was unable to do such a simple and common thing also, had this in Zorin 10 also I believe.

Do I get the $1,000,000 now? My account is................

Bradley

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:05:57 pm

Have marked this thread as [SOLVED] - had to edit title to do so I'm afraid. ;) :D